Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums VEGAS Pro Using 4k mixed with 1080p and keeping 4k size

• Using 4k mixed with 1080p and keeping 4k size

Posted by Bart Francis on December 5, 2023 at 9:50 pm

I’ve tried to find someone else asking this and everyone wants to tell me how to change the 4k down to 1080 or the 1080 up to 4k.. but that’s not what I want to do.

My main camera is 1080p and the output of the finished product will be 1080p
    But I have some b roll footage that is 4k and is in a very wide shot.
    So sometimes I might want to just use a piece of something, let’s say, the bottom right quadrant of that 4k video (which would be approx 1080p size) and so even though it’s small in the 4k footage it will look like it was still excellent quality matched with the 1080 main footage

What I though I could do is just use a 4k size project and input the 1080 p centered in the frame with a matte over it so I would have to adjust all the 4k video to fit in that “frame” area then I’d render to 1080p

Is there something simple I’m missing?

Of course I can just make the 4k footage 1080p just by pulling it into the 1080 project timeline BUT then if I was blowing up something to like 300 percent it would be 1080p content blown up not a “piece” of 4k footage snipped in at the approx same quality

hope this makes sense

thanks

Mads Nybo jørgensen replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Bart Francis

December 7, 2023 at 9:23 pm

Anyone??

• Mads Nybo jørgensen

December 7, 2023 at 10:58 pm

Hey Bart,

First off, I do not know Vegas Pro, but I do know about scaling.

Keep your project at 1080p if that is your main camera, and final delivery format.
    Import your 4K fotage.
    Hopefully it will fit to the 1080p framesize, without you having to ask it to do so.
    Unless Vegas has transcoded the 4K to 1080p, then you should be able to your zooms on 4K fotage and keep a high resolution within the 1080p timeline.

Taking 1080p footage into 4K and back again will be messy.
    But that all depends on what cameras and lenses you used – as in how sharp is it.

I am currently using Topaz to take a 4:3 PAL video from Betacam SP tape to HD 1920×1080.
    It works, but there is a lot of work involved in that process.

Hope this helps.

Atb
    Mads

• Bart Francis

December 7, 2023 at 11:16 pm

Thanks for the Reply Mads
    I guess you bring up a fundamental question that would make my question moot.

If I just put the 4k into the vegas timeline it will act like it’s 1080 in the sense that it will fit

The question is if I blow up a section and use it, will it be blowing up the image as a 4k file or a converted 1080p. In other words I just want to get the advantage of using small areas in the 4k footage and it looking as good as the 1080p or better when I render

• Mads Nybo jørgensen

December 7, 2023 at 11:29 pm

Hey Bart,

It is all very frustrating, isn’t it – not knowing, and to be honest, I had to search hard for the answer on the Vegas website.

However, the test that you can do in the 1080p timeline:
    Put a 4K clip down, and zoom in by 400%
    Do the same with a 1080p clip.
    Compare the two, and you’ll soon observe whether the 4K is in 4K resolution on a 1080p “canvas”.

Here is what Vegas says in one of their hidden away webpages:

Choosing Your Format for Editing

Most modern NLEs such as VEGAS Pro support the latest, most common codecs. Because they do, you’ll be able to edit the footage you shoot natively, without having to convert to another format. So, you don’t have to choose a codec for editing.

You do want to choose timeline properties which match your footage – resolution and frame rate – but most NLEs will conform the timeline automatically to the first media clip you place on it.

If you don’t need to edit at all, and just want to transcode your footage into the format needed for sharing, you can do that, too. Just put the footage on the NLE timeline, and then go right to export.

Keywords are “Natively” and “without having to convert to another format”.

Hope that this helps you move ahead.

Atb
    Mads

• Hector Vera

December 7, 2023 at 11:36 pm

As Mads said, I have tried converting 720p to 1080p before and its true sometimes you do not notice it at all. Not sure if you have a 4K render setting on your Sony Vegas Pro right? But even so, I have done the 720 to 1080p rendering mainly so there is a 1080p option to view as when I upload it on YouTube. Scaling the video higher can help make it consider a 4K video too but it make make some parts of the video seem a bit pixelated. Converting video formats also can do it after doing it a few times. There are scale options for 1080p and 4K so people can have the options to view on any of the two they choose but I personally have not fully practiced on it yet so hope you find a way to make it work as you planned soon 🙂

• Bart Francis

December 8, 2023 at 5:57 pm

Mads, thanks again for checking into this I owe you one.
    I see you feel my pain, it’s like no one talks about this and I don’t understand it,
    it seems a simple thing many people would do…. maybe it’s so simple and obvious I’m missing it…

BUT

IS THERE ANY MAGIX/VEGAS people who can answer this question, I guess I need to put it on their board… I just always have had better luck here?

• Mads Nybo jørgensen

December 8, 2023 at 7:28 pm

Hey Bart,

You are not going to get anyone to validate your workflow of flaffing around in 4K before taking your 1080p back down to 1080p, except for yourself.
    The very moment you put your 1080p into a 4K timeline, it becomes 4K. You do understand this point, right?

Instead keep your eyes on the ball, which in your own words are:
    “My main camera is 1080p and the output of the finished product will be 1080p”

1080p is where you want to end up, and that is where you want to stay – particularly if you do not understand the technical specs of Vegas. Those that I highlighted to you above.

Next time, shoot everything in 4K, and then by all means, export to 1080p.

Hope that this helps?

Atb
    Mads

• Bart Francis

December 10, 2023 at 6:59 pm

Here is another thread that is helpful

https://creativecow.net/forums/thread/mixing-4k-with-1080p/

• Mads Nybo jørgensen

December 11, 2023 at 12:26 pm

Hey Bart,

Great stuff, if Media 100 works for you, it is possible to download it from here:
    https://www.media100.com/

As it is Mac centric, and no longer in the mainstream, read some of the recent posts on the Media 100 COW forum. As a new Mac with the latest, operating system will not support it.

Should add that I do not agree with all the comments left on the Media 100 thread from 2016 that you shared. If you are working in editing software, that is working with the native codec for the individual file. You should be able to scale 4K inside HD and maintain a high resolution – within reason that is, as even 4K will start slowly to go soft if you pass the 1920 x 1080 window on a 1080p output – again depends on your source footage and camera/lens used for shooting.

Keypoint is that since 2016 even the latest version of Vegas Pro has made big leaps in functionality, although Media 100 less so, as that NLE is end-of-life.

Atb
    Mads

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy