Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums Adobe Premiere Pro Upgrading??

• Upgrading??

Posted by Robert Engle on December 21, 2023 at 2:12 am

I am currently using vegas pro along with Boris FX and I use particle illusion mostly.

I don’t do this professionally just as a hobby. And I like to make text dissolve and sort of blow away in the wind but not a whole lot more..

People are telling me to upgrade to Premier and After Effects and they say I can do the same thing in those 2 programs and they have better interfaces and is more professional.

I was told to use Boris with Premier. I have to buy another license which I don’t wanna do so. Is it worth upgrading to Premiere with the After Effects program and can I do a lot of particle work just with those two programs alone and not using Boris at all?

Please help looking for a lot of different opinions because use I just don’t know what to do please help.

Thanks Bob USA

Robert Engle replied 3 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Mads Nybo jørgensen

December 21, 2023 at 2:54 am

Hey Bob,

You can come across to Premiere Pro from Vegas, but the question is whether is will make a difference to what you want to do?

Yes, you are likely to find that you can do vastly more in a combination of Premiere Pro and After Effects, but you are also on a steep learning curve.
    Adobe CC is available with good rates for students and/or you have the option of a month only subscription. But you still need to either buy or do a month on Boris FX too.

Out of interest, have tried the free stand-alone version of Particle Illusion?
    That might generate the particles that you want and import to Vegas.
    Looking up the latest version, you should be able to make particles interact with a “logo” (text).
    https://borisfx.com/products/particle-illusion/

The other alternative is Blender, which can also do text to particles. Here you should be able to import video or animated still-frames to Vegas. (free + if on Windows, it can be found as an windows app for download)
    Plenty of tutorials to choose from, including:
    https://youtu.be/Kih9djbvvKE?si=Z_s6DDGr1doYeTVd

Hope that this helps.

Atb
    Mads

• Tom Morton

December 21, 2023 at 7:10 am

I see a lot of posts where editors are moving away from Premiere because of it’s poor support and poor reliability and I’m firmly on that bandwagon too. If you’re thinking of learning a new NLE to step up, I personally would recommend you learn Davinci Resolve and not Premiere Pro. It will save you years of hassle, it’s cheaper and as far as I’ve used it, faster and more intuitive to use. Although the 3D side is more limited there’s still a lot you can do with it.

• Rob Ainscough

December 21, 2023 at 5:13 pm

I dropped Adobe CC suite about a year or so ago and moved to DaVinci Resolve/Fusion and my workflow has improved and I’m getting more done and far fewer bugs with excellent stability and performance. Performance is significantly better.

Since I moved to DaVinci Resolve I also started buying Black Magic Designs equipment for Color grading, Mixing, fast editing and because the hardware is tied directly into Resolve/Fusion there is no latency and stability is top notch and I don’t have to worry about key mappings as it’s natively connected.

With Adobe I found myself buying many plug-ins (like Boris FX, Mocha, etc.) … especially for tracking since Adobe Pr/Ae is terrible at native tracking (which further increased my workflow). Resolve’s built in tracking support is excellent and very easy to use and I have NO need to buy additional tracking plug-ins.

The biggest change/learning was moving away from Adobe’s “layers” to Resolves “nodes” … IMHO nodes are far more powerful than layers and visually make it easier to see workflow. Another change was operating in distinct “modes” under Resolve … Cut, Edit, Color, etc. … which turned out to be a very efficient way of working on a project … it’s better than using Adobe’s “Workspace” concept and fiddling with windows that often never stayed in the correct locations.

DaVinci Resolve focus is on “creation”. DaVinci Fusion is free (well comes with the Resolve license not a separate purchase) but is a separate download … Fusion is essentially the same as After Effects only better IMHO.

I know a lot of editors both professional and hobbyist that have moved away from Adobe to DaVinci Resolve/Fusion. For photo editing/processing, I use Affinity Photo 2 which very much as powerful as Photoshop and very similar layout so learning curve was minimal. I never had any issues with working DLog or SLog RAWs in Affinity Photo 2 nor DaVinci Resolve.

About the only other tools I have in my arsenal is Topaz Photo AI and Video AI to work on low quality or mistake ridden content.

• Robert Engle

December 24, 2023 at 7:33 pm

ok thank you !!!!

• Robert Engle

December 24, 2023 at 7:34 pm

AWESOME THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy