Update on our SAN – looks like os X.3.9 on G4’s are no go.
For those of you following my SAN installation testing from the XSAN and OS X forums:
Yesterday we figured out that the secondary controller in the ADTX was faulty.
Last night I realised that when we had bypassed the switch and connected straight to port 3 to test it(on controller 2), we only had a LU 0 mapped on controller 1. Controller 2’s LU’s started at 4. So the macs could not see any LU 0, and thus would not see ANY LU.
So today I remapped the LU’s on the secondary controller to also include LU 0 and suddenly it started working. I’m still not sure if the macs need to see LU 0 on every port, or only every controller. So I mapped the LU’s to have LU 0 on every port, in such a way that every distinct LU is only seen on one port.
Fine. Both G5’s worked (Os X.3.8). I reformatted the SANMP volumes and stripe sets and did some speed testing on the G5’s: getting about 200 MB/s write nd 150MB/s read. OK, I guess. On two 5 drive raid 0 arrays. Getting 3 streams SD on one machine and 4 streams on the other G5. If I add an 8th stream everything starts stuttering.
Checking the data streams on the qlogic 5200 fibre switch, I could see that the dual link machines (G5’s) are splitting their data streams over both links. Good.
BUT both the G4’s (os X.3.9) would still not mount most LU’s. I’ll post some pictures when back at work. I could see all 8 LU’s in the system profiler, but only 2 LU’s would show up in the disk utility.
I tried Tiger X.4.1 on the G4 – and it also saw all 8 LU’s in system profile, but it saw three other LU’s in Disk Util. Then I tried a raw os X.3 installation, and saw all the LU’s in the Disk util! That’s when my time ran out.
I’ll update you when I’m back at the office – for now the plan is to go to X.3.5 on the G4 and see if Disk util and SANMP works ok.
Page 1 of 2