Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums Adobe After Effects “TV screen bulge” effect

  • “TV screen bulge” effect

    Posted by Stone Reader on April 13, 2005 at 7:34 pm

    Hi all.

    Does anyone know how to to create a “TV screen bulge” effect for a video clip?

    Basically, I want a clip to have the slight bulge/curve you see on TV or CRT monitor, and then give it a little shine, like light reflecting on the glass.

    I searched for tutorials on how to do this, but couldn’t find any. If someone could tell me how, or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks much!

    Tom Brooks replied 19 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Jim Tierney

    April 13, 2005 at 10:10 pm

    Try the Optics Compression filter in the Distort menu.


    Jim Tierney
    Digital Anarchy

  • Yoondo

    April 14, 2005 at 4:32 am

    I think Jim meant optics “compensation”.

  • Stone Reader

    April 14, 2005 at 2:14 pm

    Is this in the Pro version? Unfortunately we only have the Standard version.

  • Tom Brooks

    April 14, 2005 at 7:03 pm

    Effect/Distort/Bulge is somewhat workable. If you bulge your picture larger towards the center, the image gets enlarged in that area and can look bad because you’re blowing the image up to larger than its native size. So go easy if it’s video or make your TV screen smaller than the native size of the video. As far as putting a highlight on it, a mostly transparent white or light blue rectangle, distorted to match the distortion of the screen is a start. Basically, a TV screen is a weak, distorted mirror, which will show you an image of any object in a direct line from the the object (a window, say) to the TV screen and then to your eye. If the camera that is looking at the TV is moving, of course your reflections will have to move as well. Place a small non-flat screen TV in view of a window and look at it. What does the reflection look like? Make your white layer look like that. Then stylize as you wish.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy