Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems Trasnfer via Ethernet

• Trasnfer via Ethernet

steve park updated 8 years, 3 months ago 7 Members · 16 Posts
  • David Roche

April 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I see that AJA has enabled file transfer over ethernet in the v3 firmware. Have any of you tried it yet? If so, how are the transfer times?

• Jeremy Garchow

April 6, 2012 at 12:48 am

Yes!

Slower than fw800, but more convenient if your KiPro is in another room.

I have been getting about 13-15MB/sec per file, but ymmv.

Jeremy

• David Roche

April 7, 2012 at 1:26 am

Thanks Jeremy! So that’s 15 megabytes or megabits?

• Jeremy Garchow

April 7, 2012 at 1:58 am

Big B.

Bytes!

• Ian Liuzzi-Fedun

April 7, 2012 at 3:05 pm

So how, exactly does this work? I see the instructions on how to get the device into this mode but is it really just plug and play or is there some sort of connection process I have to initiate on the computer?

• Jeremy Garchow

April 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Switch to the mode, go in to the Clips interface (or playlists). Select the clips you want and hit “download” at the top of the screen. The clips will download to wherever your browser is set to download, so be sure to set that location in the browser prefs first.

You can also upload from this interface.

Jeremy

• Jeff Handy

April 20, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I’m curious why you’d do this rather than a direct FW800 transfer from the drive. If one could do the transfer during recording, I could see the advantage. But it doesn’t look like that’s possible.

HandyGeek

• Jeremy Garchow

April 20, 2012 at 6:49 pm

[Jeff Handy] “I’m curious why you’d do this rather than a direct FW800 transfer from the drive. If one could do the transfer during recording, I could see the advantage. But it doesn’t look like that’s possible.”

For me, as an editor, the KiPros are patched in another room, not right next to me.

I often use KiPros to make digital masters and do any conversions (24p to 29.97, HD to SD, 1080i <-> 720p). Once this is complete, I can bring those files right back to the SAN without having to leave my edit desk.

In a word? Laziness.

In another word, convenience.

It’s a welcome feature, I rather like it.

If I am at a shoot and making backups of camera originals, the of course fw800 makes more sense.

Jeremy

• Jeff Handy

April 20, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Same here, but our Ki Pro systems are always recording in the studio. We have a ton of the drives and we just swap as needed. I do like the new rack system. I can see our next two systems being those.

HandyGeek

• Jeremy Garchow

April 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm

[Jeff Handy] “I can see our next two systems being those.”

ditto.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy