Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro X Transcoding

• Transcoding

• RICHARD MANIGAULT

August 27, 2022 at 12:26 am

I have some file footage shot in 24p, Cinewave and Targa Cine Capture Card, Final Cut Pro 4.5HD with Mac OS 10.3.9 . Can these files be transcoded to work with Final Cut Pro x and Mojave. And Also The New Mi Silicon. If so , how>

• Paul Szilard

August 27, 2022 at 2:14 am

Have you tried to just importing the files as is?

Do you have Apple Compressor or the free Handbrake program?

• RICHARD MANIGAULT

August 27, 2022 at 4:32 am

Yes, I have the latest compressor 4.4.7 with Mojave but the files are shaded out. And Yes I have compressor on the G5 with Cinewave.

• Eric Santiago

August 29, 2022 at 3:01 pm

What are the extensions on these files that are shaded?

Do you have Adobe Media Encoder to investigate?

• RICHARD MANIGAULT

August 30, 2022 at 6:35 am

They are .mov. Also, Prism has a program that transcodes. I tried it today but the file are much smaller. But does that matter. Am I correct in that even when you mpeg a file it still has the same quality. And No I don’t have Adobe Media Encoder.

• Doug Metz

August 30, 2022 at 3:55 pm

I’d transcode them all to ProRes on the old / original machine. If you’ve got FCP 4.5, I’d guess you also have the version of Compressor that came with it, yes?

“when you mpeg a file” is a bit ambiguous. There are several flavors of mpeg compression, and they’re all lossy, so no, not the same quality as the originals. Transcode the originals to ProRes on the old machine, and export your old FCP projects as XML while you’re in there.

• RICHARD MANIGAULT

August 31, 2022 at 3:00 am

I didn’t see Pro Res on there. I did make an XML but they are greyed out when I bring it into FCP X Mojave. I don’t understand how that works with video I have used XML with audio. What is the process? But could this blockage of not reading the file have something to do with Apple going from PPC to Intel and now MI? I mean, there is this file no other computer recognizes. It would seem like FCP can always import FCP, no matter what year it was made.

• Doug Metz

September 1, 2022 at 7:32 pm

I’d be interested to see what codecs are available for transcode. That version of Final Cut was released in 2004, and I’d forgotten that ProRes was introduced in 2007 (!!)

You could try Uncompressed (massive files, but lossless) as a mezzanine on your way to ProRes on the new machine.

With FCP 4.5 XML exports (or any version through FC 7), you’ll need to run it through a translator first. I think Premiere will read them natively, but I use an app called SendToX. The old .fcp project files themselves cannot be opened by any version of FCPX, nothing to do with platform/processor.

• RICHARD MANIGAULT

September 1, 2022 at 9:47 pm

I will try that and get back with you. Thanks for your time.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy