Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › timeline settings

  • timeline settings

    Posted by Deleted User on September 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm

    I’ve been using NLEs since 1992 (D-Vision Pro) but always with real-time capture and print to tape. I’ve recently ventured into the world of FCS3 and need some help getting my head around a concept.

    I’m using the Canon log & transfer plug-in (with the 550D hack) to get DSLR footage into my system as Prores LT. When I drag the first clip onto the timeline I get the pop-up saying that my timeline doesn’t match the footage and would I like to change the timeline settings to which I answer yes. When I check the timeline settings they are HDV 1440 X 1080 at 30fps. My questions…..Is HDV just a generic setting and why did it set to 1440 and not 1920?

    Eventually I want to be able to output a H.264 file for Blu-Ray or go to XDcamHD discs depending on the project.

    Lee
    SAMDOG Digital Post
    Calgary, Alberta
    Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LW1760 Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Adobe Production Premium Bundle

    Rafael Amador replied 16 years ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jerry Hofmann

    September 27, 2010 at 6:09 pm

    If the source clip is HDV, then it should change the sequence settings to match when you click Yes… if it’s ProRes then it shouldn’t… be sure the clip is ProRes… look in the Browser columns to make sure it is.

    Post back if it is ProRes but the behavior still exists.

    Jerry

    Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

    DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

    8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

  • Deleted User

    September 27, 2010 at 7:01 pm

    The source clip has been definitely transcoded to ProRes LT. What should the timeline settings be at then?

    Thanks for your time.

    Lee
    SAMDOG Digital Post
    Calgary, Alberta
    Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LW1760 Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Adobe Production Premium Bundle

  • Jerry Hofmann

    September 27, 2010 at 7:10 pm

    Match the sequence settings to the property settings of that clip exactly.

    Jerry

    Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

    DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

    8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

  • Deleted User

    September 29, 2010 at 4:12 am

    I’ve checked the sequence settings and yes they do match the source clips so all is well as far as that goes. What actually was causing the confusion was that when I start FCP and load that project, FCP gives me a warning box saying “Unable to locate the following external devices – HDV (1440 X 1080i) 60i

    Why would I be getting that warning? Any ideas?

    Lee
    SAMDOG Digital Post
    Calgary, Alberta
    Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LW1760 Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Adobe Production Premium Bundle

  • Rafael Amador

    September 29, 2010 at 4:31 am

    [Lee Warner] “Why would I be getting that warning? Any ideas?”
    Beacause you have FC set to capture HDV. No harm.
    Next time that you get the warning, check the little button “Don’t warn again”.
    rafael

    http://www.nagavideo.com

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy