Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Storage & Archiving Thunderbolt 3 raid

• Thunderbolt 3 raid

• Ken Cooper

February 12, 2021 at 6:27 pm

So I have 2 thunderbolt 3 raids at Raid 0. According to the Black Magic speed test they are running write and read at about 620mg a second. I am in the market for 1 more 56TB Thunderbolt 3 raid. I would like some more speed without having to go all SSD in the Raid. Maybe 800mg / 1000mg. Please …any suggestions? Thanks so much for any help.

Computer I have:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 16 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 64 GB

Ken Cooper

Multi-Vision Productions

Tampa

• Tim Jones

February 13, 2021 at 12:23 am

Hi Ken,

While I have a vested interest in OWC product sales, I will recommend that you take a look at the OWC Thunderbay 8 unit here:
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/thunderbay-8/thunderbolt-3

You can purchase it preloaded or as an empty chassis and load your own disks.

I use one loaded with 16TB drives for a total of 128TB and then use the SoftRAID RAID 5 layout for 104TB Formatted. I was using this BEFORE I became an OWC employee.

To get the best speeds, I would recommend newer 10TB or larger drives so that you can achieve the sustained I/O performance that you’re looking for.

• Ken Cooper

February 13, 2021 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Tim….I will take your advice. I have 2 other OWC raids but they run 621 mb/s. Also I bought the full SoftRAID and it does not work on current Mac OS Big Sur. Should I calla sales person to order??? Thanks again

• Tim Jones

February 14, 2021 at 12:23 am

We’re getting very close to the release of SoftRAID 6 as well as seeing the Big Sur 11.2 issue resolved in the11.3 update. I suspect that your speeds are related to the performance of your disks and the number involved. This is why I suggest the newer 10GB+ drives. They average over 150MB/s and if you stripe 8 of them, you can easily see sustainable rates of 1GB/sec.

You can order off of the site (www.macsale.org) or call in – which ever works for you.

• Ken Cooper

February 18, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Hey Tim,

So I took your advice and I ordered the 64 TB model. So it came about an hour ago. I hooked it up and Ran speed test. 1425 write and 526 read…not good also other problems copying files. This seems like this would be one of their premium products how could it get out the door and nobody really tested it??? I’m staking a lot on this raid!!! Called support for 45 minutes they could not figure it out. Sent it back. Please understand my friend I’m not trying to be mean or rude in anyway… But this is a colossal loss of my time and my effort so I won’t be ordering anything from them again. Also Tim, I am in no way blaming any of this on you I’m just trying to relay to you my experience after I took your advice.

• Tim Jones

February 21, 2021 at 4:52 am

Hi Ken, it’s really odd that you’re seeing faster writes than reads with that unit.

Please PM me the RMA number on your return so that I can have the unit pulled and run through a full postmortem. Definitely not our normal result.

• Ken Cooper

February 21, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Thank you Tim,

I understand things happen it’s a piece of equipment maybe there’s just some tiny glitch somewhere. It just made me super nervous about those speed test. I could not take the chance the raid had an issue. I got out of the speed test software and back into the speed test three or four times sometimes the write speed would go way up and then drop quickly and stay drop down to 525. Then I would get out of the test software open it back up again run the test again and it would stay at 525. I’m going to try and attach a screenshot.

RMA 685737C5RF-P-CH5 Kind regards, Ken

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy