Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro The $10,000 PIP Challenge

• The $10,000 PIP Challenge

Red-Rob Rothkopf updated 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Allan Finney

April 25, 2022 at 2:16 pm

Pinnacle Studio vs Vegas – I can take a picture in Pinnacle Studio 23, put it as an overlay (PIP), CROP IT and put a border around it in a few seconds (3 steps). Pinnacle Studio does not claim to be professional video editing software. In my professional video editing software ie Vegas “Pro” (Vegas pro 15, version 416 but I will upgrade if I have to ) I can’t accomplish the same thing. Please note my emphasis on a CROPPED picture. See photos for the process in Pinnacle Studio. I can’t show you photos of how to do that in Vegas because, well, you can’t accomplish the same thing as far as I can tell. OR maybe you can using all kinds of border effects, pan/crops, track motions etc. etc. BUT when you have 20 or so photos to work with, all with different aspect ratios and positioning requirements I’m not inclined to put each photo on a separate track and see if I can do the job cobbling together different fx or pan/crops or keyframing track motion or standing on my head and twirling around disabling GPUs or what have you. BUT I would if I absolutely had to – although it certainly defeats the purpose of “professional” software, which I pay for to make my life simpler, easier and FASTER. If anybody out there can give me a FAST, EASY, ELEGANT solution in VP just explain it to me like I’m a six-year-old. Just kidding about the $10,000 lol.

• Red-Rob Rothkopf

April 25, 2022 at 6:32 pm

As with most things in Vegas Pro, there are multiple, simple, ways to do a PIP. Some are more flexible/customizable than others.

It’s not clear from your post whether you want identical cropping applied to a bunch of photos, or different cropping on each.

Anyhow, here are few thoughts/methods/ideas, using Vegas Pro 18:

1. CROP Video FX — I think this is what you are looking for

a. Drag image onto timeline

b. Drag “Crop” Video FX on top of the image

c. Use the visual guides on the preview to crop the image

If you want to apply the same crop settings to other images, you can save this as a Preset and just drag that preset onto those images… or copy/paste FX to paste it onto other images.. whatever you want really.

2. Use COOKIE CUTTER effect. Gives you more shape options for a crop, but not as visual an interface (it’s an older effect)

3. Use the PAN/CROP button, and create a “Mask” which will crop the image.

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy