Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Creative Community Conversations Terminology questions – What are these elements called?


  • Terminology questions – What are these elements called?

  • Michael Gissing

    January 1, 2021 at 11:43 pm

    Brings back memories of my early days in telecine at Channel Ten in Sydney. Show supers on a custom built camera/ card system using Letraset into a ‘Cox Box’ which made it high contrast and could add colors based on luma. Alternatively there was a Rank and Marconi slide telecine that was used to live switch end credit cards. The Marconi always worked perfectly on the rehearsal and always jammed live on air. The most amazing thing was the disk recorder that cost the same as a three bedroom house, spun a heavy platter which if unbalanced would potential shake itself to destruction, taking out a concrete wall or two in the process. All for less than a minute of footage to be slo mo’d or freeze framed.

    I remember when Aston & Chryron started to replace these devices but I had moved into the News Room where we still shot 16mm film and edited on Steenbecks. Just before I transferred departments the first 1″ Sony machines arrived and before I left the News Room BVU recorders tethered to the power hungry RCA TK-76 cameras. Awful to use and crap pictures. It’s a wonder video made it to eventually crush film.

  • Glenn Sakatch

    January 2, 2021 at 5:50 pm

    Well, now i don’t feel so old…we only used Letraset in first tv station was actually quite modern, only being a year old…although we did suffer through MII (M2) machines.

  • Scott Thomas

    January 5, 2021 at 9:59 pm

    Around the same time the Chyron (Originally Chiron) was being developed, CBS Labs developed Vidifont.

    Also, DVE was a trademark of NEC for their digital video effects.

  • Scott Thomas

    January 5, 2021 at 10:02 pm

    The graphic element you have highlighted, I would call the entire thing an “Over-The-Shoulder” or also reffered to as an OTS.

Viewing 11 - 14 of 14 posts

Log in to reply.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy