Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums Apple Final Cut Pro X Super Panavision-70 Camera

• Super Panavision-70 Camera

Posted by Simon Connor on March 4, 2024 at 6:18 pm

I’m an absolute beginner when it comes to Final Cut Pro. I’ve been doing online courses but would just like a quick bit of advice. I want to make a video which hopefully, looks like classic movies like Lawrence of Arabia, My Fair Lady and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. They were all shot using a Super Panavision-70 Camera.

My questions is, is there a plug in that does it or would it all have to be done in the colour gradients etc. Apologies for using any wrong terminology.

Simon Connor replied 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Mads Nybo jørgensen

March 4, 2024 at 7:23 pm

Hey Simon,

There are a variety of ways of recreating a Super Panavision-70 Camera look.

First of all: Super Panavision used spherical lenses to create a final aspect ratio of 2.20:1.
    Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Panavision_70

Unless you have a projector with the right lens that can play that format, you’ll never fill out the screen. However, you can add black bars to simulate that ratio. You also need to consider whether you are HD, 4K or maybe even 8K to blow it up big enough. Or just use a big telly for a small crowd.

On the look itself, I would start by finding the right film emulsion – there are plenty of plug-ins/overlays out there that could be useful in meeting the look.

Then fine tune the final look in the grade.

The other way is to transfer your video file on to film, and then project it on a compatible projector – it is not inexpensive to do..

Hope that this helps.

Atb
    Mads

• Simon Connor

March 9, 2024 at 11:15 am

Hi Mads,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I have a steep learning curve!

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy