Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Sony Cameras SONY EX3 Product Insurance

  • SONY EX3 Product Insurance

     Michael Slowe updated 9 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 7 Posts
  • Joseph Colombatto

    January 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm

    When I originally bought my SONY EX3 (B&H New York) I also bought a 3-year insurance package
    for damage done to the camera. Coverage runs out in 2013. They do not renew the coverage on the EX3 after that date. Any advice on how or where to get coverage after that? Thanks.

  • Michael Slowe

    January 6, 2012 at 10:56 am

    Don’t you have insurance coverage for all your belongings? I have my house and contents annually insured with items such as cameras and associated equipment additionally covered when away from the home, including accidental damage. Standard practice here in the UK, not so in the US?

    Michael Slowe

  • Clint Fleckenstein

    January 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm

    I list my video gear on my homeowners’ insurance in great detail (model #, purchase info, serial #). It’s covered since I’m a freelancer; I don’t have a business through which to insure it. I may have had to up my coverage a little bit in order to account for the extra dollar amount, I forget…but it’s easy if you have a good agent.


  • Bob Tompkins

    January 6, 2012 at 3:16 pm

    I think he is looking for a maintenance agreement rather than insurance i.e., fix something that is broken for free. I would imagine that would be harder to find and more expensive than it is worth on a 3 year old piece of electronics. It is probably why the original ends at 3 years.

  • Joseph Colombatto

    January 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm

    Yes, a maintenance agreement.
    Homeowners may cover it if stolen, or destroyed in a fire, or within the home,
    but what happens if the camera gets hit on a shoot, on a location?
    I could send it to repair, say though B&H where I bought it, what insurance
    provider is going to cover that bill after the original 3-year coverage runs out?
    It is a Sony product, I haven’t yet contacted Sony directly, and am not sure if
    such coverage is available through them.

  • Pushpanatha de Silva

    January 8, 2012 at 8:01 am

    Here in Australia we can cover the professional cameras under Home and Contents Insurance(annual basis) for breakages, theft, accidental damage, home away, etc., It’s bit expensive but worth it if u hav expensive camera gear..

    Dell Workstation T7500
    Dell HD Monitors
    Sony PMW EX1

  • Michael Slowe

    January 8, 2012 at 11:29 am

    Joseph, like I said in my earlier post my home insurance would cover accidental damage to kit, even outside the home. The damage on location that you suppose would be covered. There may be a problem however with regard to the professional nature of your activity. As a non commercial film maker I had to have additional insurance while filming a ‘making of’ for the DVD of a feature film, but that was mostly concerned with public liability.

    Maintenance service contracts are, I feel, a waste of money and mostly favour the people granting them. I never accept them with domestic appliances and it pays off, likewise with film gear, how often (or likely) is it that you are faced with an expensive repair, damage notwithstanding?

    Michael Slowe

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts

Log in to reply.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy