Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy Sony DSR 570 to Final Cut

• Sony DSR 570 to Final Cut

• Francis Hughes

May 11, 2007 at 6:50 pm

Hi everyone,

Ive just shot a documentary using a DSR 570, its shot on DVCAM (PDVM-40N). So its now time to log the footage. Im going from camera (no budget for a deck before you all think im an amature LOL) to my G4 laptop running FCP 5. Ive set up the sequence to anamorphic 16:9 (as thats what was shot) in my capture settings ive set up…compressor DV-PAL, digitiser is DV Video, 25fps and audio is set to DV audio and first 2 channels (we only used two) and the format is 48.000 kHz 16 bit. Then in the AV devices ive selected SSP mode – DVCAM. If your still reading thank you very much its appreciated, im posting as its my first time using DVCAM to edit so I wanted to make sure that im set up right. My main concern was the size of the files when captured are only 8.36gb for 40mins. My understanding is that DVCAM should be more, im used to 13.5gb for DV I assumed DVCAM would be more?

I know there is a lot there, does all of the above sound right?

Many Many thanks
    Francis

• DV and DVCAM are technically (visually, audio and file-size)IDENTICAL.
    The only thing that’s substaantially different is that DVCAM speeds up the tape travel by 30%.

• Simon Thompson

May 12, 2007 at 3:13 pm

Hi Frances.
    setup you have selected looks fine. ( Assuming you are working in PAL format).

DV, miniDV, DVCAM are all the same once in your computer. Will be the same file sizes. Just that DVCAM runs the tape quicker through the camera for improved reliability.

File size looks appropriate for 40 min DVCAM.
    Free Data Rate/ file size calculator widgit is avaliable from http://www.digital-heaven.co.uk
    Or if you are not using Tiger and can’t install widgets I believe AJA have a similar standalone program free from their website.

Good luck

Simon Thompson

• Francis Hughes

May 12, 2007 at 11:46 pm

Cheers guys that has really helped me out. Just me getting paranoid I guess! Thanks for taking the time to post.

Francis

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy