Delta update is what you get from Software Update and also available from Apple Support. It only updates from the most immediate previous 10.6.x
The problem is I’ve found in some cases when there’s a component name change it leaves the old one behind in addition to the new one. This can create problems. In other cases it seems it may not overwrite a component which can also change problems.
Combo Update only available from Apple Support can update from an 10.6.x to the current 10.6.x. I use it even for the most immediate .x update because if there’s any issue with an older component it seems to get rid of it. Basically I’ve found it clears up “odd” inexplicable OS related issues. In fact if you bump into such “odd” behavior even if it looks like it’s specific to an app, using the Combo Update might clear it up. Its about the most thorough thing you can do short of an OS reinstall and it’s a lot easier.
Be advised, our 2.8 Mac Pro has Kona 3 induced kernal panics with 10.6.8. We cannot run drivers at all for Kona with this release. Uninstalled and reinstalled them several times. We were no running the beta Kona software.
Tough decision. Apple says use 10.6.8 for FCPX, but Kona drivers won’t work with it (on our system). Looks like we should have waited.
John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.