Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Business & Career Building Social Media

• Social Media

• Karl Soehnlein

January 17, 2009 at 7:48 pm

After a search on the cow, I was surprised to find very little discussion about social media websites.

As of today, Myspace.com, Facebook.com and LinkedIn.com are the #2, #5 and #47 most popular websites in the U.S., respectively (according to Alexa).

I have been a member of several social media sites for years and found two (Facebook and LinkedIn) to be surprisingly good for business. Used right, I think these websites are hugely underrated tools that can not only promote your business, but help brand yourself or your company.

I’ve never received any new business through these sites, but it keeps others aware of what I’m doing. As a young freelancer, this is big for me. Facebook, for example, allows you add a “fan” page for your business where you can add videos, post photos, use discussion forums, etc.

Many (75%+) of the video professionals in my market (Madison, WI) are a member of at least one site.

I’m curious how others are using these sites to promote themselves or their business. And…if you’re not a member yet, why not?

Here’s an interesting article about 2009 social media trends: https://www.betatales.com/?p=262

Karl Soehnlein
    Reel Wave Media, LLC

• Ron Lindeboom

January 17, 2009 at 8:06 pm

[Karl Soehnlein] “I have been a member of several social networking sites for years and found two (Facebook and LinkedIn) to be surprisingly good for business. Used right, I think these websites are hugely underrated tools that can not only promote your business, but help brand yourself or your company.”

[Karl Soehnlein] “I’ve never received any new business through these sites, but it keeps others aware of what I’m doing.”

Speaking as one of the founders and directors of Creative COW, we think that huge generalized social networking sites are fine but real value comes as things get more specific and focused.

This logic is seen when comparing the value of LinkedIn to Facebook for a business owner. Most would agree that there is more value in LinkedIn than in Facebook. The reason is that Facebook is for everyone, whereas LinkedIn is for business people.

Following this logic to the next step, as things get more and more focused in your industry that your business is in, the value escalates further.

Real “social networking” grows in value when it is done with those of like mind and focus.

Because of this, we have been adding more and more social networking features in the COW and have many more planned for the first six months of 2009.

One of the most obvious of these is our “Services” link in our orange navigation bar, which lets you advertise for free your studio, services and company focus.

Less obvious but, to many, more valuable is our linked profiles pages wherein people can dig in and see who people are from within their posts and answers offered. We know of many members who are working on projects together, and making money doing it, that didn’t come from the Services directory or from the jobs board — rather, they came from people liking what was said and wanting to work with that person.

We also know of leaders — one here in this forum that springs to mind is Mike Cohen — who has gotten job offers, etc., because of articles he has written and the ideas he has offered in the magazine, the blogs, the library and elsewhere in this site.

Social networking does not have to be done face to face and can be done using the Net. But our belief if that the more focused you can get it, the more value it brings.

It is sort of like direct mail. We could advertise Creative COW to all of the people here in San Luis Obispo County, California where we live but only a small number would really be interested — most, would scratch their heads and wonder what this is all about. But if we targeted a mailer by industry code and classification, the numbers of mailers would drop radically but the potential value in each prospect would grow just as radically in proportion.

These are the kinds of thoughts we have been addressing with many of the social networking functions we have been adding to the site and we hope that you find them valuable.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
    creativecow.net

• Mike Cohen

January 17, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Social Networking = a buzz word. Buzz words such as “green”, “energy independence” and “change” are fairly vague and only time will tell if their is some use.

I agree with Ron that focused networking sites like this one are useful. Whether intended to be “social” or not, I have a few COW friends who I have never actually met face to face – social indeed.

Let’s not forget that people have been communicating on message boards since the early days of the internet, long before some guy on Madison Ave came up with the phrase Social Networking. The BBS circa 1985, Compuserve and the once popular Usenet were precursors to today’s choices.

There are other media production specific boards that get people of like minds communicating.

Then there are the “popular” ones – however these are popular because they are broad.

Facebook – I admit to checking my account 1-2 times a day – it has been good for contacting old mates from school and there is a Creative COW appreciation group – not to mention some fellow COWs – to me this site does have some promise

MySpace – too broad – good if you are a rock band or a stalker

LinkedIn – I only use this when I get a new link – only thing is, I find that I am linked to people who I already know – not very useful – yet.

Craigslist – this site has been quite useful – I have hired numerous freelancers off their classifieds, and a recent full time hire. Truth be told, I have gotten some freelance weddings there also. There are some creepy areas of the site, as there are in your local paper for that matter.

In summary, I like walks on the beach, candle light dinners and…oh wait, wrong web site.

Mike Cohen

• walter biscardi

January 17, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I’ve gotten my two biggest clients as a result of my work here on the Cow. So for a video professional, I find the Cow to be the most useful for both letting other professionals know I’m out there and for finding talent to work in my offices. Just by answering questions here, writing articles, providing tutorials, people see firsthand what I can do. Either directly or indirectly I get a ton of work through my affiliation with the Cow and I can directly corralate the growth of my company through my expanded association with the Cow.

Facebook is enjoyable as I’m finding friends from school that I have not connected with in years so I really enjoy that as purely a social environment.

Myspace, I have a page there, but it’s mainly dormant. That really is not much use to me.

LinkedIn I have a lot of very good contacts and especially as we move towards selling some new television programming, I’ve picked up some good connections there.

Craigslist I have no use for whatsoever.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Biscardi Creative Media
    HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

• Mike Cohen

January 17, 2009 at 10:00 pm

I should mention that I used the original pre-internet social networking site, AOL, back in the early 90’s. While I did not do anything business related on AOL, I did find one lasting relationship – my wife!

Mike Cohen

• Ron Lindeboom

January 17, 2009 at 10:12 pm

[Mike Cohen] “While I did not do anything business related on AOL, I did find one lasting relationship – my wife!”

I met my wife elsewhere, but did meet Walter’s wonderful wife, Rebecca, through the COW.

Does that count, Mike?

:o)

Ron Lindeboom

• walter biscardi

January 18, 2009 at 2:04 am

[Ron Lindeboom] “I met my wife elsewhere, but did meet Walter’s wonderful wife, Rebecca, through the COW. “

And she gets lovelier by the day……

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

• grinner hester

January 18, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I am on all three of those sites. I set them up for networking and listed that in my profiles but never have I gotten a gig as a result.
    MySapce is a place for youngans to pretend to be other people and facebook is a place for middle aged single moms to try to wrestle down a new daddy. Linked sems to be more profession but man, how boring is that?
    lol
    in a nut shell, social networking means too lazy too lazy to get laid.

• Arnie Schlissel

January 19, 2009 at 5:30 pm

[Karl Soehnlein] “I have been a member of several social media sites for years and found two (Facebook and LinkedIn) to be surprisingly good for business.”

[Karl Soehnlein] “I’ve never received any new business through these sites, but it keeps others aware of what I’m doing.”

I find these statements to be at odds with each other. “I’ve never received any new business” says all that most people need to hear about it. If you want to keep people “aware about what you’re doing”, you can create your own website, and use it to promote yourself as a brand.

Even with my somewhat crappy website, people are sometimes surprised to learn that I’m just some schmuck working out of my apartment, not a full fledged post facility. But the first impression has already been made that that I can provide them with a level of service that they wouldn’t expect from my situation.

If I sent them to a Myspace or Facebook page, they’d just assume that I’m a schmuck working out of my apartment, and leave it there.

Arnie
    Post production is not an afterthought!
    https://www.arniepix.com/

• walter biscardi

January 19, 2009 at 5:38 pm

[Arnie Schlissel] “Even with my somewhat crappy website, people are sometimes surprised to learn that I’m just some schmuck working out of my apartment, not a full fledged post facility.”

Ah, but a very talented schmuck. If you were a lousy schmuck working out of an apartment, even a great website wouldn’t help you. 🙂

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy