Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe After Effects › Smooth Slo Mo on footage shot at 22fps HD in AE

  • Smooth Slo Mo on footage shot at 22fps HD in AE

    Posted by Paul Harb on May 8, 2006 at 11:47 pm

    I have like 7 shots that were shot at 22fps I believe….in HD, 1080..I want to take them into AE and slo mo them to get a nice smooth slo mo…which I cant seem to get right now using Avid…Media Composer or DS……what would be a good plug in to do this with….and is it possible to get good results?

    Thks….Paul

    Steve Roberts replied 20 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Michael Szalapski

    May 9, 2006 at 1:33 am

    What version of AE are you using? 7 has a built in time change plugin thingy. Since I have yet to get around to upgrading I don’t know what it’s called or where it’s found.

    There are plugins around like Twixtor that do an excellent job of filling in frames where there are none to give a smooth slow mo.

    There were some free plugins around to do this, but they don’t work terribly well. I think one was called DynaPel or something like that.

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • Steve Roberts

    May 9, 2006 at 1:53 am

    Twixtor Pro is quite righteous, but keep in mind that there’s a limit to what any slo-mo plug can do, depending on the complexity of the content of the footage and the degree of speed reduction.

    They should have a demo …

  • Steve Roberts

    May 9, 2006 at 6:56 pm

    [Dave LaRonde] “… don’t expect to be able to slow a shot down to 10% of its original speed and have it look good.”

    You know, it might be worth it for someone with time on his hands (*cough*) to try slowing down footage progressively, say to 50%, render, then take that to 50%, render, and so on … until it starts to look like doodoo. The results would depend on the footage, but it might be worth a try, if the speed reduction is too extreme to do in one go.

    Just a thought.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy