- October 30, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Normally I am very weary of upgrading and I wait about a year before I’m 100% sure and OS has been thoroughly tested and is mostly bug-free so it won’t make my MBP inoperable. However, I need to use a coding software now that requires Catalina… I’d been checking around to see if I should go ahead and upgrade and wasn’t able to find any very convincing arguments, either pro or con, as people are pretty divided in their experiences with the OS…
Anyway, my MBP’s specs are the following:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
2,5 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB Graphics
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB Graphics
And I’m currently running MacOS Sierra (10.12.6) —Yup! I’m rather behind!
I’m hoping other users of a similar machine can let me know their impressions of the new OS and maybe can recommend whether I should go ahead or if I’d be better off waiting.
Thanks in advance!
P.S. And what about a MBP 13″ 2017 running Sierra as well? That’s my second, non-audiovisual, daily-use machine.
…So this is how I managed to bungle it up today.
- November 1, 2019 at 2:49 pm
The first thing I would do is check that all of your applications will continue to run on Catalina. Apple has dropped support for 32-bit applications so any applications that you have which are 32-bit will stop working!
This is what I would do:
- Go to Apple -> About This Mac
- Select System Report
- Select Software -> Applications (wait until the application list loads)
- Click on the 64-Bit (intel) column to sort by compatability
- Check the list for any application with No in this column
If any of the applications in that list say No and you are not willing to have them stop working, then you cannot upgrade to Catalina. Pretty simple decision. I am not upgrading any time soon.
- January 12, 2020 at 2:26 am
Totally agree, as I am fighting with my 2018 Mac mini to return to the operating system it shipped with (Mojave!). That T2 security is great, but say goodbye to a bootable external installer. The first “workaround” I used led to a continuous reboot, so I’m not sure what to recommend other than DON’T go to Catalina! I have no more CS6 period. Apple love/hate relationship…
Michael E Locke
Roxie Summit Productions, LLC
- March 12, 2020 at 2:26 am
It seems Premiere Pro and Resolve run as 64-bit but Larry Jordan posted a lot of warnings about “vintage” media codecs not running under Catalina. I wonder if these include ProRes.
Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City
Log in to reply.