So, I’m a noobie but can’t seem to figure this out, I’m trying to make a dancing porkchop (don’t ask)
I also have eyes rigged to blink using random keyframes.
OK, so next steps are to connect all the porkchop body objects into one object (Male), select the skeleton (BVH) and Male Body and Skin them, then make the skeleton and skin children of the body, select all and bind.
Fine, the body moves with the motion capture data, but the eyes no longer blink and they start distorting with the body.
Now, I’ve tried not including the eyes and controller when I Connect Objects+Delete the main Male body and then make the eyes a child of the body, but they don’t move with the bvh motion.
I’m sure there is an easy way to make something rigid so it won’t distort (like armor on a character or even shoes) but I can’t for the life of me figure it out. Much less retain the xpresso tag blink control.
I don’t do a lot of rigging, but when wanting to add body parts (like a round head, for example) to a motion capture file, what I have found that works is to make that part a child of the joint which you would want it to follow. In your case, like adding a head, place the eyes in the position you want them, and then make them a child of the head joint.
That’s what I would do, too. Or you can have the same effect with a constraint tag. Final option would be to make sure the parts you don’t want distorted are 100% weighted to a single joint (in this case the head bone).
I’m glad you got it worked out. Unfortunately, as I said, I don’t much rigging (if any), so I can’t help you out there. I have tried to find good tutorials myself on easily adding motion capture files to already rigged characters, but have come up short so far. From what I can glean, good character rigging is as much art as science and is not an easy process. Since I haven’t needed to do it I haven’t forced myself to learn it. Maybe some day.
Good luck. And again, the dancing porkchop is great. I hope you can workout the distortion issues.
(BTW… if you want to share the project file here, I would be glad to experiment with it and let you know if I can find a way to solve those issues.)