Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro Running on 2013 Mac

• Running on 2013 Mac

• Abraham Putnam

May 19, 2022 at 4:19 pm

Does anyone have experience with older Macs running Premiere? I have a 2013 15-inch 2.6 Ghz i7 with 16 gigs of memory. Will that handle full HD video? How responsive will it be?

• Dennis Dean

May 19, 2022 at 4:45 pm

Hi Abraham,

I can’t speak to your 2013 but I ran Premiere on a Mid 2014 with 2.5 Ghz i7 and 16 GB of memory – for several years quite successfully. I attached two monitors and an external Western Digital Passport drive, and went to town. Most of the time I was editing relatively simple 2-3 minute videos. Nothing extraordinarily complex. I can tell you the biggest thing that helped was converting ALL of my video to Pro Res. Any flavor. The stuff is made for editing. I tried editing MP4 a couple of times – the machine tended to go slow or falter. Otherwise I was pretty happy with performance. No problem running several tracks of video and audio… The Graphics card in this machine is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750 M 2048 MB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. (reading from “About this Mac” I was running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6 I’d say if Premiere Pro has compatible version for it still, load it up and see what happens. I was also able to run PhotoShop simultaneously, for prepping graphics when needed. Good luck!

• Rowdy Wiegmans

May 19, 2022 at 6:28 pm

Coincidentally yes. I’ve recently worked wirh 2013 imac’s with similar specs on a sportsevent editing 1080p content.

Worked fine. Responsiveness will depend on the codec, but you can always create proxies ofcourse.

Happy editing 🙂

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy