Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects Expressions Rotate the bulge tool?

• Rotate the bulge tool?

• warik

October 23, 2006 at 6:04 am

Hi

Does anyone know of a way to rotate the bulge tool? I can adjust the horizontal and vertical radius of it, no problem, but I really need to be able to rotate the effect. (Nesting the composition is not really an option).

Can it be done? Or is there a plugin that will do it?

Cheers

Warik

• Mylenium

October 23, 2006 at 5:15 pm

If that should failo, you can find alternatives with built-in rotating routines in third-party plugins such as lenscare’s flAir package or BorisFX.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

• Mike Clasby

October 23, 2006 at 6:52 pm

Methinks a master AE Magician should be able to do it with the effect, distortion map, but I’m not clever enough to generate the distortion map to make it work.

Rotating an adjustment with Bulge doesn’t work for me, but rotating “My Layer To Be Distorted” with keyframes gives you the Equal but Opposite of what you want, the Bulge is effecting the layer as it rotates below, so…

Precompose the Adjustment layer and “My Layer To Be Distorted” (select both, Layer>Pre-compose, then Move all Attributes) , then rotate that precomp in a equal and opposite direction, either manually or with this expression on the precomp’s rotation:

– comp(“Comp 1”).layer(“My Layer To Be Distorted”).rotation

This expression comes from pickwhipping the precomp’s rotation to the “My Layer To Be Distorted”‘s rotation (it’s in the precomp) and then putting a minus sign in front.

So animate rotation in the precomp and the Bulge will rotate in the comp the way you want.

Oh, yes, you’ll probably need to go and make that precomp larger (Ctrl K) as when it doing it’s unseen counter-rotation magic, it clips off the edges of the layer, you’ll see.

• Dan Ebberts

October 23, 2006 at 7:18 pm

Another way would be to sandwich the Bulge effect in between two copies of the Transform effect. Use the top copy of Transform to do the rotation, link the bottom Transform’s rotation to the top’s with an expression like this:

-effect(“Transform”)(“Rotation”)

Dan

• Mike Clasby

October 23, 2006 at 7:34 pm

Yikes, why didn’t I think of that? Much more elegant and no precomposing. I don’t use Distort>Tranform enough.

• warik

October 23, 2006 at 11:50 pm

Thanks Dan,

Your suggestion worked perfectly. Thank you for such a simple solution.

Warik

• Charlotte Warren

August 5, 2020 at 7:38 pm

I had the same issue and the workaround I did was to rotate the layer I wanted to bulge then bring the whole comp into another comp that I rotated back faking the angle of the bulge.

• Filip Vandueren

August 5, 2020 at 9:24 pm

Instead of precomping you can add a transform effect before the bulge, then an inverse transform after (or rotate the layer after)

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy