Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

• Resolve 17

• Jeremy Garchow

November 15, 2020 at 5:03 pm

5x what, indeed. Again, I’m not saying what Apple has done here is easy, I just don’t understand how they could be first to 5x performance, saving 5x the wattage. I do see why NVIDIA is set to pay $40B for ARM though, if the performance gains are that dramatic.

I still maintain intel is a safer buy today. Seems odd to recommend a new OS and new processing technology to a professional, especially since Apple themselves have announced a multi-year transition period, and still sells intel machines. I feel if the shoe was on the other foot, and this was some sort of Windows transition, the suggestion might be different to the friend.

• Michael Gissing

November 15, 2020 at 11:38 pm

Any advice I would have for professional friends would be based entirely on their financial situation, usage requirements, current equipment and what they prefer in terms of OS and hardware. If Windows also makes a decision to develop for ARM based chips, I would assess that entirely based on its merits which would of course include company history, price, transition plans, present hardware life cycle and OS. At the heart of everything however is software. That has almost always determined my choices of hardware and OS.

Viewing 11 - 12 of 12 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy