Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro Render with CPU?

• Render with CPU?

Steve Rhoden updated 1 week, 6 days ago 5 Members · 8 Posts
  • Jono Grant

September 8, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Hi there, I’m rendering a music video with a cartoon (BCC) effect and many transitions/clips etc.. The 5 minute song took 15 hours to render yesterday! Ouch!

Anyhow, someone asked if I was using only CPU to render which is set to use CPU by default in vegas.

I have an Nvidia quadro p4000, should I render this differently?

The options are: CPU, OpenCL or CUDA. Not sure what one to choose.

Any idea?

Thanks

Jono

• Bernie Lademann

September 8, 2020 at 11:13 pm

Hi Jono,

While I cannot tell you which way to go with your particular hardware, I can tell you what I have found with choosing the what to use. I have a machine which has Intel i9-9920X and 3 x Nvidia Quadro P4000 CPUs. I chose this hardware configuration because I use both Vegas Pro (for video) and Redshift (for 3D animation) in my daily work. I have found that there is very little difference in using the CPU and the GPU for render in Vegas on my machine, despite the fact that it has 3 GPUs!

My suggestion is try a render test of a much shorter area in your project (10 seconds of video, for example) with the following (assuming you want to create MP4 files with h264 or h265 compression):

Sony AVC

Magix AVC – CPU

Magix AVC – NVIDIA NVEC

Then pick the fastest one. The quality of the CPU renderer was once very poor with lots of artefacts, however, I cannot fault it in current versions of Vegas, so you can trust that the output will be good with either CPU or GPU.

IMPORTANT: You must set the “Dynamic RAM Preview” to 0, in your settings. I guarantee that you will have a messed up output if this is set to anything other than 0. This is always been the case for me in all versions of Vegas I have ever used.

Good Luck

Bernie

• Graham Bernard

September 9, 2020 at 1:50 am

This 10 Second using B Cartoon Look took 1minute 26 seconds:

What I am noticing with BORIS that my GPU isn’t being used, all the demand is on CPU.

• Graham Bernard

September 9, 2020 at 2:29 am

I’m doing a 5 minute of B Cartoon Look to a MAGIX 422 Intermediate MOV. No GPU option, that I can tell, and that’s estimating 40 minutes.

• Jono Grant

September 9, 2020 at 5:56 am

I downloaded the CUDA toolkit and set the render settings to use CUDA if available.

Now I see in windows task manager/performance that the GPU is taking a bit of the stress off the CPU. Not a lot mind you, but as you say, I guess the BCC plugin is more CPU intensive.

I’ll inform about whether it was any faster once my render is complete.

Cheers

Jono

• Francois Pénzes

September 9, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Hi Jono

I’m curious, have you tried rendering without the cartoon look. I’m asking because way back, I had a clip I was trying to render but it was taking way to long. I did test renders of the clip of only 1 minute and and for each one, removed 1 effect at a time to isolate what the culprit was. Can’t recall exactly what the problem was but I do remember that the culprit was not the one I expected.

Cheers !

• Jono Grant

September 9, 2020 at 9:18 pm

The cartoon effect is definitely the culprit. Without it, the file would render in a few minutes.

• Steve Rhoden

September 10, 2020 at 1:27 pm

Jono, BCC Cartoon effect is the reason why your renders take so long. It is an extremely demanding system intensive filter!

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can. Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy