Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › Problem with Garbage Matte in Final Cut Pro v6.0.4
-
Problem with Garbage Matte in Final Cut Pro v6.0.4
Posted by Mike Jensen on November 3, 2008 at 9:26 pmI have two .jpg files on the timeline in Final Cut Pro v6.0.4. Both of the .jpg files have 4 point
garbage mattes on them. I have feathered the edges of the matte on each. When I
try and dissolve between the clips a hard edge appears on the mattes during the dissolve.
Anyone know why? What can I do to make sure the mattes stay feathered throughout the entire dissolve?Thanks!
-Mike Jensen
Tom Matthies replied 17 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies -
8 Replies
-
Jerry Hofmann
November 4, 2008 at 12:12 amMight export them as self contained QT movies, then dissolve between these exported files after you replace them them all matted correctly.. Also might try putting them over each other in their own tracks and use opacity changes to create the dissolve that way…
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer
Author: “Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4” Click here
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO, CD’s
-
Mike Jensen
November 4, 2008 at 3:58 amThanks Jerry! I appreciate the quick response. I’ll give your
suggestions a try and let you know what kind of success I had.-Mike Jensen
-
Jeremy Garchow
November 4, 2008 at 4:56 amIs this after rendering? And if it is , are sure you have turned on the ‘full’ option for rendering in your Sequence > Render All and Sequence > Render Selection menus?
Jeremy
-
Mike Jensen
November 4, 2008 at 12:37 pmThanks Jeremy.
My rendering options are set as you have suggested and I have
made sure everything is rendered correctly. As I went back over
the entire timeline I have noticed that the garbage mattes I
applied to video clips are doing the same thing. As the dissolves
take place there is a hard edge around the matte instead of a nice,
feathered soft edge. When I remove the dissolve and look at the
mattes the feathered edge looks perfect. It’s something about
the way the dissolve is working with the matte for some reason.Mike Jensen
-
Jeremy Garchow
November 4, 2008 at 3:26 pmCool, then follow Jerry’s great advice. I seem to remember somewhere that the alpha channel is hobbled in some transitions, but that is in a distant fragment of my mind.
The technique that Jerry laid out of using separate tracks plus the opacity adjustments should cure it.
-
Mike Jensen
November 4, 2008 at 5:58 pmThanks Jeremy. I went ahead and tried putting the shots on
separate tracks and using opacity changes instead of dissolves and
it worked perfectly. Thanks for your help as well.-Mike
-
Mike Jensen
November 4, 2008 at 6:00 pmJerry,
BULLEYE! Putting the shots on separate tracks and using opacity
changes instead of dissolves fixed the issue. It would be nice if
I could use regular dissolves…. but the work around doesn’t take
that much longer to create. Thanks again for your help!-Mike Jensen
-
Tom Matthies
November 4, 2008 at 10:22 pmI had this problem some time ago and got around it by changing the Alpha Type of the clips. I don’t remember, offhand just what I changed from to what, but you might try changing the Alphas from whatever they are to another type and see if that helps after rendering.
Tom
Reply to this Discussion! Login or Sign Up