Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro Premiere Pro Reads Incorrect Timecode from Source-Makes Bad XML

  • Premiere Pro Reads Incorrect Timecode from Source-Makes Bad XML

  • Richard Clabaugh

    January 29, 2018 at 8:18 pm

    Thanks Ben,

    Good to know but in my case, at least, there was no speed changes or interpretation being applied to any of the source clips.

    So far as I know, and based on what I’ve read in this thread, this continues to be an unresolved problem. There are some work arounds, but they all start with importing the footage differently before you start the project. Once you’ve edited, if you discover the problem, you’re in a bad way.

    This remains a bug I think Adobe needs to address.

  • Ben Yonker

    February 1, 2018 at 3:17 pm

    Agreed. I must have just gotten lucky.

    Ben

  • Alex O’Brien

    May 30, 2018 at 3:27 am

    I’m having the same exact issues. Has there really been no solution for this?

  • James Barber

    November 18, 2018 at 12:47 am

    I just have come a cropper with this issue as well. Been tearing my hair out for ages trying to get an XML to move a rather complex audio edit from Premiere to Resolve, only to finally find this post, and realise Premiere has the TC slightly out on all the clips. WTH. Has anyone found a fix for this?

  • Jessie Stith

    March 11, 2019 at 4:33 am

    I experienced (with several projects in a row) a similar issue with danger-zone (zebra marked) clips in the timeline that were then out of sync. It was like Premiere Pro was referencing the wrong timecode…the clips didn’t start and stop when they were supposed to, and then the clips didn’t line up with the separate audio track that we had recorded. It was super weird, and very stressful. Like many others on this thread this issue is seriously effecting my ability to do my job; I’ve never seen this happen in PP until CC2019. This only happened when moving a project from one computer to another. It didn’t matter how the clips were imported – I tried both media browser AND import in a new project when I realized the original project file wasn’t working right.

    When I talked to support, this was what (sort of) fixed the issue.
    1. Select (zebra) clip in timeline
    2. Select the clip in the Project Bin (you can right click on the clip in the timeline and use the shortcut “Reveal in Project” if needed)
    3. Right click on the clip in the timeline and select Replace with Clip> From Bin

    While this worked, it’s obviously a pretty manual process, and I asked the Adobe support rep if there was a better workaround that would handle the project as a whole. (Literally, every clip in every timeline was effected.) She recommended using the project manager to move entire project folders from computer to computer or putting the project in a creative cloud folder. The creative cloud folder isn’t an option for my team, as the project folder is a little over 2TB, so I doubt I’ll even waste time testing that option. I haven’t tested the project manager process to see if that will help. We’ve never had issues moving entire folders before.

    Future steps for us will include trying a Team Project as well as the project manager tool, but I’d still consider this unresolved. Hopefully, one of these steps will fix all of the sequences in the project. Having to do this replacing clip process every time we move a project is an unacceptable waste of time.

  • Dexter Huizenga

    April 21, 2022 at 1:53 am

    Hi all, I’ve had a major victory with this issue and I feel that it is my duty to humanity to share my solve. Not sure it’s exactly the same issue as the original poster, but this is the closest thread I can find. The issue was as follows:

    – Several times in the past we have been given xmls from editorial which reference footage with different frame rates in the same timeline.
    – The davinci timeline is set to 23.976 but some of the footage is 24fps
    – the 24fps footage is all off by several frames from the cutting copy, and double clicking it to reveal in the preview window shows that the timecode has in fact shifted.
    – comparing the same frame in the media pool and in the timeline shows that the clip in the timeline no longer has the original timecode, the clip I will use an example originally had a start frame of 15:09:37:17, which had been shifted to 15:10:32:06
    – my theory was that it was shifting the 24fps timecode so it played at 23.976—essentially multiplying the timecode value by 1.001001001001001, (the difference between 23.976 and 24)
    – upon testing this theory, I learned that this is exactly what was happening, but the value was off by three frames—which could be exactly what was happening under the hood in davinci to cause the 24fps shots to all be off by a couple frames.

    THE SOLVE:

    – Before importing any clips (it wont let you change after), I changed the mixed frame range format from “final cut pro 7” to “resolve”.
    – you can find this option in project settings/general/conform options, or in the xml import dialogue.
    – the clips which were off by a couple of frames when I imported previously were now lining up perfectly, and the timecode was proper when I double clicked the shot in the timeline.

    Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue! I’ve spent way too long brute-force conforming timelines where almost every shot is lining up wrong, and too long researching this issue to no avail. Victory at last!

    Cheers!
    Dexter

Viewing 31 - 36 of 36 posts

Log in to reply.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy