Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro PPro 1 can’t get past CompilerVfw.prm during startup

• PPro 1 can’t get past CompilerVfw.prm during startup

• Brodd Nesset

August 6, 2006 at 7:08 pm

Hi! My Premiere Pro (1) will not start! The intro screen shows, and I can read that the startup sequence goes past CompilerQuicktime.prm, but on CompilerVfw.prm it freezes. In Task manager Premiere does not appear as a running application yet, but as a process using 99% of all resources, which I must kill since CPU usage is stuck at 100%!
    My computer is a Dell laptop Inspirion 8600 1.7 gHz CPU with 512 Mb RAM. It has an ATI 9600 chip, and I believe this was Dell’s first hi-res laptop with 1620×1200 pixels. It performs excellent otherwise, also with my other Adobe applications Audition and After Effects. DV videofiles plays fine by themselves on the desktop.
    I have done a reinstall, only with the same result. I Also did a search in this forum and found nothing on this ‘compiler’, which worries me, since it may mean there is no easy fix for this?
    Any help appreciated!

• Andre Gagnon

August 6, 2006 at 9:45 pm

What is the Hard disk setup on your laptop?

I suspect that you have only one HD whereas at a minimum a second one, dedicated to your A/V data, is required.

• Brodd Nesset

August 7, 2006 at 6:54 am

Adobe says this: “Dedicated 7,200RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD” …is a requirement for PRO 2. It’s rather confusing; if taken literally it means you can just forget about editing video with Premiere on any laptop. At least I have yet to see any normal laptop that is sold with more than one HD. I can’t believe this is actually true, since I and many others have seen video run just fine from the system disk on a laptop. For best performance, the above is certainly good advice though; I have edited video on stationary PCs in ten years and know this very well.

Anyway:
    – I am using PRO v1, not 2
    – My laptop actually has a firewire disk attached. Guess what’s on it – videofiles perhaps?
    – How can I tell Premiere which drive is dedicated to for DV editing when I can’t even get the program to start?

• mike velte

August 7, 2006 at 11:32 am

Assuming 1.0 has worked on your laptop, try deleting Pro’s Preference file.
    C:\Documents and settings\mike\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Pro\1.0\Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs
    or try reinstalling Pro.
    1.0 was pretty buggy.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy