Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects Playstation 3 Ad

• Playstation 3 Ad

Jon Hutton updated 12 years ago 3 Members · 4 Posts
  • Jon Hutton

December 31, 2008 at 5:21 am

Hi there, I did a quick look to see if anyone has posted about these, so apologies if it has, I’m sure most of you have seen the Playstation 3 ads with the games as murals on the walls and vehicles and such, and I think these are really some of the more original spots to come out recently, Anyways I have a link to the one ad there, but couldn’t find the second one where it has the games on people’s shirts. I’m sure it’s not the most complex thing to achieve but was more curios about how you would track your camera movements with what you have composited on the walls, as to display 3d rotation, depth and such, as well if anyone can think of the other ad when the screen is displaying on peoples shirts how you would achieve human contour onto what you are compositing onto their shirts, and any insights into the spots would be cool.
    More of an open topic.
    Cheers
    Jon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNH_WurH4bE

• david bogie

December 31, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Applying the building textures to the movies is a simple Displacement Map and motion tracking the buildings isn’t particularly difficult, either but, sheesh, there’s nothing simple about the application of any of this stuff in those ads. Looks like the modeling was done in a very good 3D application. the t-shirt spot probably used 3D motion capture. If you look very carefully, it appears many of the individuals were composited into the shot, they weren’t all shot at once.

If you wait around a couple more weeks and keep researching the spots on the Playstation fan sites, someone will soon connect with the effects house and post some interviews with the artists. If you stick with it, please come back and let us know what you find.

bogiesan

• Simon Stutts

January 8, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Not sure about the t-shirt spot, but it looks like the PS3 “Mural” spot had its vfx work done by the talented folks over at The Mill.

https://www.beam.tv/beamreel/themill/file/CGrgmQnrVs/page/1

• Jon Hutton

January 9, 2009 at 12:05 am

Ah cool, thanks for the link!

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy