Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro Performance

• Performance

• John Pale

July 23, 2011 at 4:20 pm

It seems that most people here are happy with the performance of PPro 5.5 compared with FCP 7.

I have been testing it on my system, and have found it quite lacking thus far, so I may conclude that either my system or capture card are not up to the task of running PPro efficiently.

Mac Pro 1,1
    2 x Dual Core 2.66
    10 GB RAM
    4 disk external RAID (over 400 MB/sec)
    Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2 (running latest driver pkg. 8.2)
    ATI Radeon 4870 (there are no NVIDIA Cuda cards that can run on my system)
    Trying both Snow Leopard and Lion on separate boot disks.

I have found that my system often chokes on effects…even on a Fully Rendered (green line) timeline. The footage is Canon DSLR 1080p 23.976. I did find that creating my own preset from scratch, rather than using the provided Blackmagic one yielded better, but not perfect playback. The one item I changed was the Preview codec from iFrame MPEG to Apple Pro Res. I am thinking the Decklink card is optimized better to playback ProRes than MPEG. Or maybe my older 1st generation Intel Mac Pro can’t decode it well.

Anyone getting decent performance on an older system with a capture card ?

I realize that

• Tom Daigon

July 23, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Walter Biscardi (Editor/Facility Owner/Etc) conducted a test with a dual core system (early Mac Pro )and found that it didnt have the power necessary to use the software as intended. He surmised that a dual quad core (MAC) was needed after testing our one of those as well.

Tom Daigon
    Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
    http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

• Tim Kolb

July 23, 2011 at 11:10 pm

A dual quad core would be the best recommendation in a Windows system for the work you’re attempting as well…though any system that can run a CUDA card will definitely “stretch” some lighter specs on any of these machines.

TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

• John Pale

July 24, 2011 at 1:33 am

Thanks much.

The performance with ProRes isn’t bad, so it looks like I’ll still be in transcode hell until I can upgrade to a newer computer.

FCPX actually has very good performance with DSLR, but the interface is really not working for me.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy