Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums VEGAS Pro PC requirements for AVCHD 1920

• PC requirements for AVCHD 1920

Posted by Heinz Melus on March 12, 2011 at 8:24 pm

QUESTION: I’m interested in Sony Vegas.
    I have a Sony Camera Recorder HDR-CX550 and DVD Architect. I recorded in FX mode 1920x1080x50 on CX550 and tried my video at a friend who has Sony Vegas, cause I wanted to edit more than PMB offered. All looked fine during edit and Render As. We used File type Sony AVC and Template AVCHD 1920x1080x50i. When we played back the file sound and video was not in sync. When we render with HD 1440×1080-50i it works fine with the same video file.

• Does Sony Vegas support this high resolution FX files from the camera and render 1920×1080-50i?
    • What PC system requirements are needed to render FX mode?
    • I also tried to play the rendered file with the PMB AVCHD player. It says it is not a supported format.
    • What is required or wrong here?
    Would appreciate any reply before I buy Sony Vegas.
    Thank you in advance.

Heinz

John Rofrano replied 12 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • John Rofrano

March 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm

[heinz melus] “What PC system requirements are needed to render FX mode?”

Sony recommends at least a 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo for HD but I recommend at least a Core i7 Quad Core with at least 6GB of memory for the best experience. Also Sony Vegas Pro 10 will edit this footage smoother than Vegas Movie Studio HD 10 will because Pro is newer and better tuned for AVCHD.

I have a Sony CX-12 AVCHD camera and it edits pretty good on my old Core 2 Quad with 8GB of memory and Vegas Pro 10.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

• Heinz Melus

March 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Thanks John, very valuable. I’m just a beginner to render footage. +20 years I made many footage from C format, Video 8, VHS, mini DV and since last year I have the CX-550. For the old analog footage I bought Pinnacle Studio 14 with its hardware for capturing. Heard that Vegas can’t capture composite signals. Capturing is more or less ok but editing and render not. I want to buy Vegas Pro (600$) and install it on my PC. It’s not the youngest. AMD Phenon Quad core 2,3 GHz (Windows experience Index 4,7), currently 2GB memory, running on W7. I can increase to 4 GB, that’s max. Rendering time is not critical, as I’m retired. My friend has the same PC running Vegas Pro v9, but he has an older camera, so he didn’t see the dissync of video to audio in AVCHD 1920x1080x50 rendering mode. Video was slower than audio on my test I made on his PC. Do you think Vegas Pro runs on 4GB in AVCHD mode correctly or must I buy Vegas and a new PC too?

Heinz

• John Rofrano

March 16, 2011 at 2:37 am

[heinz melus] ” Heard that Vegas can’t capture composite signals. “

Well… you heard wrong. I capture all of my analog footage in Vegas using my Canopus ADVC-300. You could also use the ADVC-110 or ADVC-55. The Pinnacle capture card is proprietary and only works with their software unfortunately. This is no fault of Vegas.

[heinz melus] “Do you think Vegas Pro runs on 4GB in AVCHD mode correctly or must I buy Vegas and a new PC too?”

As I said in my previous post, Sony recommends 2.8GHz. 2.3GHz is a bit underpowered and AMD is not the fastest processors to begin with. You would have a completely different experience with an Intel Core i7. 4GB of memory is really minimum.

~jr

• Heinz Melus

August 12, 2011 at 6:41 am

John

1. I took some time to get ready to buy a new workstation and Vegas Pro. I start with the workstation Windows 64.
    I have an offer for the hardware. Could you advise, if something is missing or too weak or overpowered. I’m not a pro and have our family footage in AVCHD 1920 x 1080. Earlier this year, when I tried it at a friend on a weaker PC with Vegas Pro9, the audio and video got dissyncronized after a few minutes.
    The spec
    Intel Core i7, 2600, 3,4GHz
    Socket 775/115xAM2/AM3 cooler
    SATA II, RAID, U133, 2xPCI-E, SB, 1Gb LAN, IEEE1394a, USB3.0, USB 2.0, ATX.
    Memory: 2x4GB DDR3 SDRAM Kingston Valueram, 1333MHz
    HD1: Seagate Baracuda 320GB, 7200
    HD 2&3: Seagate 1000 GB x2, 7200
    Graphic card: PCI-E1280MB ASUS ENGTX570 Direct CU(GeForce GTX 570.
    Drive BD-RE for Bluray and DVD, 12x2x8xBD/16x8x16xDVD/40x24x40xCD
    Midtower
    WiFi card 300 Mb

2. Meanwhile I just downloaded the footage from my camera in 2 formats to a drive. Direct copy make files with extension .mts and downloaded with the Sony Soft PMB, delivered with the camera, make .m2ts. Is there any preference on one of these formats in the future to work with Vegas Pro ?

3. This new workstation would run only Vegas and Adobe Lightroom 3 with the video and photo stored on a home server.
    The HW sales asked me, if I would buy a normal disply like Samsung 24″ wide or a professional one. What’s the difference? For home use, what would you recommand?
    Would appreciate your advises.
    Best regards
    Heinz Melus

Heinz

• John Rofrano

August 13, 2011 at 4:16 pm

[heinz melus] “I have an offer for the hardware. Could you advise, if something is missing or too weak or overpowered”

That hardware looks more than adequate.

[heinz melus] ” Direct copy make files with extension .mts and downloaded with the Sony Soft PMB, delivered with the camera, make .m2ts.”

You camera is limited to storing only 4GB per file. If you record for longer than that, it must split the files up. What PMB does is stitch the files back together for you. Both files formats contain exactly the same video.

[heinz melus] “Is there any preference on one of these formats in the future to work with Vegas Pro ?”

Actually you don’t want to use the PMB with Vegas. For Vegas, use the Device Explorer and it will copy the files from your camera exactly the way it should.

[heinz melus] “This new workstation would run only Vegas and Adobe Lightroom 3 with the video and photo stored on a home server.”

I would not edit video from a home server. Copy the files locally to your second hard drive. This will work a lot better.

[heinz melus] “The HW sales asked me, if I would buy a normal disply like Samsung 24″ wide or a professional one. What’s the difference? For home use, what would you recommand?”

For home use you don’t need the accuracy of a professional display. I have two ASUS ProArt PA246Q’s but you can get away with a consumer display. The difference is the color accuracy.

~jr

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy