Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Avid Media Composer patching 3/4″ tape to Avid for capture

• patching 3/4″ tape to Avid for capture

• Pieter Viljoen

August 20, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I’m in that generation of assistants/editors that’s coming up post tape… I need to capture a lot of 3/4″ and was wondering if there’s a basic guide someone can point me to? The capturing process itself I’ve studied from two different books but the patching I’m not entirely sure where to start, because I may need to go looking for cables that we don’t have anymore.

This will be into Avid 6.5 on a 2012 Mac Pro.

Thanks guys

• Shane Ross

August 20, 2013 at 5:28 pm

And what capture card do you have for this? Mojo? Nitris? Third party?

Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

• Pieter Viljoen

August 20, 2013 at 5:32 pm

We’ve got a Mojo

• Shane Ross

August 20, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Is it a MOJO DX? older one? The 3/4″ Decks have composite and component outputs. Newer MOJO cards only have SDI…so there’s no compatibility there. But the OLDER Mojo’s that did have this connectivity…don’t work with MC6. Does yours have Component inputs? Heck, does the DECK? Some don’t.

You’ll also need a deck control cable…not sure if the umatic has RS-422, or if you’ll need an adapter. Shoot, why is the deck here up in the attic?

Shane
    Little Frog Post

• Pieter Viljoen

August 20, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I am not at that office right now but it must be at least 8 years old and there are legacy versions of MC if I can’t do it in 6. I will find out and get back to you. Thanks for your help

• Shane Ross

August 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm

And I’ll try to get to that deck to see what it has.

Shane
    Little Frog Post

• Bill Stephan

August 20, 2013 at 10:44 pm

No component outs on 3/4″ VTRs. Those are strictly a composite-only format.

Bill Stephan
    Senior Editor/DVD Author
    USA Studios
    New York City

• Mark Raudonis

August 21, 2013 at 3:16 am

[Bill Stephan] “Those are strictly a composite-only format.”

Not exactly true, sir!

Most 3/4″ decks had what was called a “dub” cable. Here’s an example of one:
    https://www.davidriddle.com/sony7pin.html

This output separated the “Y/C” signals… creating essentially a component signal. NOT exactly
    what we now know as a”component” recording, but close.

So… if you want the best possible signal from a 3/4 ” deck, use the dub cable output through a TBC (Time Base Correctors for you young uns) . Some TBC’s actually had “dub” input connectors.

Good luck!

• Bob Zelin

August 21, 2013 at 11:56 am

Grandpa here – this is what you will need.

There are two versions of AVID Mojo – the original one with RCA and S-Video connectors, and the newer Mojo DX with SDI connectors.

Your 3/4″ VTR may be one of two varities. The “pro” models, which DO NOT have a Time Base Corrector built into them, and the “broadcast” models that DO have a TBC built into them. Let me assure you that you will not have success (even with the right cables) if you do not have a TBC or Frame Sync on your 3/4″ VTR.

The Sony VO-900, 920 and 950 had built in Time Base correctors (with an option board in them). The older Sony VO 5000, 5020, 5800, 5850 did not have a TBC, and will require a FRAME SYNCHRONIZER (like a DataVideo or Hotronics). The original Broadcast 3/4″ VTR’s from Sony (the BVU-800, 820) required external Time Base correctors.

Your 3/4″ VTR (without a TBC) is producing a heterodyned output – the direct output has an unstable sync signal, and it’s composite output is too unstable to get recorded by an AVID Mojo (or any third party card with a composite video input). The VTR must have a Time Base Corrector or a Frame Sync, and the output of the TBC or Frame Sync is what goes into the composite video input of the Mojo, not the 3/4″ VTR.

SO – you are saying “well, I don’t have a TBC or Frame Sync, and I don’t have a BVU900, 920 or 950 with internal TBC, so let me see what happens when I just plug it into the Mojo” – this is what will happen. You will get a very shakey, or scrambled signal, because the Mojo input circuit can’t lock to the unstable sync signal on the composite video signal. Just like a VHS machine.

IF you don’t have the right toys, you can’t play.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    maxavid@cfl.rr.com

• Neil Hurwitz

August 21, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Grandpa Bob is correct
    No TBC No Joy
    I beleive DPS had a unit that did just this
    Un TBC’d analog composite to TBC’d SDI
    Hunt around on ebay and you should be able to buy one for under
    200.00 If not call MCCOM they got a house full of old
    analog gear just waiting for a situation like yours.
    From
    Another Old GrandPa
    who used to torture Bob with 5800’s and Quadra 950’s

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can. Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy