Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe After Effects › Order in 3d space

  • Order in 3d space

    Posted by Roberto Loren on September 7, 2012 at 8:48 pm

    hi, i have a professional question:

    i’m working on a project in after effects. this project includes “glass pictures”- all the layers pictures are order on 3d space.

    I want to do that behind every layer will be distorted background (transform and blur).
    if i use a “Adjustment Layer” with “fast blur” and “transform” it works but the problem is that the “adjustment layer” damages the 3d order of the layers.

    **the Images rotate in such a way that every time one picture is in the front and the rest behind her.

    i want to know what is the best way to do this.

    thanks

    Roberto Loren replied 14 years ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Joseph W. bourke

    September 15, 2012 at 1:56 am

    I would think that using depth of field in your camera would achieve what you’re looking for.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Roberto Loren

    September 15, 2012 at 2:35 pm

    I mean something else ..
    For example – if you look at a bottle of water, all the background behind the bottle getting distortion.

    Depth of field of the camera does not help me here, I’m looking for a solution that only the background behind the glass will distort and not all background.

    Thanks anyway.

  • Joseph W. bourke

    September 15, 2012 at 11:04 pm

    Sorry Roberto – That’s called refraction, and I’ll have to think about that one. One way you might achieve it is to use a distortion map masked into just the area that’s showing in the layer that’s in front. I’m going to think about this and get back to you.

    You also don’t say which version of AE you’re working with, so the solutions may vary – CS6 has added some powerful features.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Roberto Loren

    September 16, 2012 at 6:19 am

    thank you,
    i’ll be waiting for your answer.

    i am freelance and i work in different places that have cs5 and cs6.

    i will be happy to know the solution in both version.

    thank you for your help.

  • Joseph W. bourke

    September 17, 2012 at 8:26 pm

    OK Roberto – I’m close. You’re going to have to pick up the ball here and run with it. Here’s what I’ve done. I took a layer that I wanted to be the distortion layer (to go over the others). I created a new Adjustment Layer, made it the same size as the layer to be used for distortion, and parented the layer to be used in front to the Adjustment Layer. I then added a Displacement Map to the adjustment layer, and set it to use the front layer for the distortion map. When I move the front layer around, it “distort” everthing behind it. You may have to make one of these for ever layer that’s going to pass in front of another, but it seems to work.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Roberto Loren

    September 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm

    I think I understand, thanks for the reply. But still there is a problem because Adjustment Layer Disrupts the 3d order.i am attaching a link as a sample of the project so it will be more obvious.

    https://www.2shared.com/file/jhsPcCha/Example_folder.html?

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy