Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

• offline HD

• Damian Dunne

October 9, 2006 at 6:28 am

hey there guys, this is the first time I have undertaken this so I thought I would get some expert help (THATS YOU GUYS!!!!).

I’m editing a short shot on the Sony F900 though not sure what it’s being captured on. I’m wondering whats the best way to offline it? Is it best to create a mini DV tape and edit with that, though do the time codes match? Or Is there a low res HD codec that will do the trick, so that then all I have to do is swap with the high res stuff via an edl? Any help would be greatly appriciated!
    muchas

be the ball

• Uli Plank

October 9, 2006 at 7:18 am

The F900’s HDCam is a Sony proprietray codec that can’t be used native on FCP. Normally it’s ingested uncompressed, but that’s huge files and a RAID.

A pretty good alternative is DVCProHD at only 100mbps (or less, depending on frame rate). It works well from a fast single S-ATA and has decent file sizes. AFAIK DeckLinks and Konas can use it during capture.

Regards,

Uli

Author of “DVDs gestalten und produzieren”, a book on professional DVD-authoring in German.

• Shane Ross

October 9, 2006 at 7:21 am

I’ll second that. DVCPRO HD is a great codec for offlining, and can be used with FW800 drives. Plus, you can use the exact same frame rate of the HDCAM tapes…which is a huge plus.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
    http://www.lfhd.net

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy