Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

• new to fcp

• ralph bertini

January 27, 2006 at 2:06 pm

Started a new job at a community college and setting up the media lab with 6 g-5’s and x serve. Somehow, monitor speakers got left off the list. Is there any particluar flava of studio monitors that are recommended for the g-5? I’m not new to mac’s but m100 on a 9600 was many moons ago. Also, since I’m new to FCP, looking for a good book to help get up to speed.
    Thanks, Ralph

• Ernie Santella

January 27, 2006 at 2:33 pm

It depends on whether you are doing serious diaglog/music editing and mixing or just roughing tracks in. Many people over look a big issue, Ambient Noise. The first thing to start with is placement of the gear. Is the Mac and the loud hard drives all together right at your edit position? If it is, then serious audio editing is pretty much moot. You really need to place all this noisy gear in either a seperate room or in a ventilated rack cabinet. Only then can you really trust your mixing.

Quality speakers I have and recommend are Genelec and Tannoy. Both are great for natural, accurate sound and imaging. Also size is another thing to consider. Sat/Sub vs. Full-range. I’ve received videos that have horrible low-end rumble that the editors never heard when they were mixing due to their small speakers not revealing low-frequency problems.

Ernie Santella
    Santella Film/Video Productions
    http://www.santellaproductions.com

• Mark Raudonis

January 27, 2006 at 3:52 pm

Mr. creature,

Here’s an option for you, EDIROL MA15D: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MA15D

They’re only $180 bucks and they might just be exactly what you’re looking for. Best feature: optical input. One of the weakspots on the g-5 is the tiny 1/8th inch phono plug for analogue audio out. These speakers can take the the built in fibre out of the g-5, leaving you an extra input for a deck or something. With this set up, you may NOT need a mixer for simple work. They’re worth a look. I’m not suggesting these can compete with the Genelec’s or Tannoy’s… but if your on a budget they are a good choice.

mark

• Ernie Santella

January 28, 2006 at 4:22 pm

First, I’m not sure what the poster’s intent is?

Just my 2

• Mark Raudonis

January 28, 2006 at 5:49 pm

ernie,

I couldn’t agree with you more! However, everyone has a different workflow and need. For example, we use the classic “off-line” to “on-line” approach where we KNOW we’re going to go into a final mix with a “licensed audio professional” driving the bus. So…. you can bet that the 75+ off-line systems that we run wiill not feature audiophile quality components. In this scenario, “decent” audio is sufficient. We know we’re gonna fix it later. (By the way, we use the tapco S-5’s. For those that don’t know, that’s Mackie’s “low end” powered speakers)

Mark

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy