Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects New Quicktime update 7.5.5 … any known issues?

• New Quicktime update 7.5.5 … any known issues?

• David Gudelius

September 10, 2008 at 10:37 am

Hi,

are there any known issues about Quicktime 7.5.5 yet?
    Who wants to test it out? 😉

• David Gudelius

September 10, 2008 at 3:18 pm

I do indeed want to upgrade; this version fixes several security issues.
    But having this great 7.5.3 (?) in mind which caused After Effects to stop rendering after 10 Minutes (or was it seconds?), I just wanted to be very, very sure. 🙂

• Ron Lindeboom

September 10, 2008 at 3:48 pm

[Dave LaRonde] “QT ought to deal with media, not flippin’ security. What the heck is going on, and why is it even necessary?”

I think it likely has more to do with security that keeps you from accessing stuff than it does with security that protects you from evil-doers and Dastardly Dans. The invasive DRM features of Apple’s stuff has cost me downloads that I legally bought from the iTunes Store that they blew out on my system. Invasive DRM is the operative term.

Ron Lindeboom

• ronaldo montalvo

September 10, 2008 at 6:29 pm

might be some trouble with media 100. see here:
    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/4/862267

• Jeff Beaumont

September 11, 2008 at 8:32 pm

You call it a “Stinkin’ Media Container” so you inadvertantly stumbled on the answer… or at least part of the answer.
    What can you put in a container? Pretty much anything.
    Wouldn’t it be scary if some one figured out a way to spread a virus through a QuickTime movie? It could be done. So I for one am glad they are making security updates.

• Shannon Appleby

September 11, 2008 at 9:19 pm

David,
    It was very nice meeting you the other night at Cruise Night. Let’s get together and talk shop sometime. I might even let you see my edit booth.

Shannon Appleby
    My Boyz Productions
    J&P Cycles Inc.
    Anamosa, Iowa
    AVID Xpress Pro, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, PC, NO MAC, Brightcove

• Jeff Beaumont

September 11, 2008 at 9:36 pm

“If Quicktime and iTunes hadn’t become joined at the hip….
    if Apple wasn’t so obsessed with consumer-based, money-generating applications…
    and if Apple hadn’t taken its eye off its original intent for Quicktime…
    …we’d only — and blissfully, I say — be up to version 5 by now. “

Wow. You’re pretty pissed.
    A major corporation, obsessed with making money, Who’d a thunk it?
    Of course if they weren’t making all that money, they might not be so interested in developing FCP.

You know, nobody is FORCING you to upgrade QT. You can just turn off Software Updates and blissfully stay with whatever stable combination of OS, QT and FCP you choose. In fact that is what most people SHOULD do, unless they are willing to suffer the occassional meltdown.

And FWIW, I don’t think you really understand what the “original intent” of QuickTime was. But that’s a whole ‘nother discussion.

• Darby Edelen

September 13, 2008 at 8:07 am

There have been proofs of concept in which QuickTime could have been used for arbitrary code execution. I don’t recall exactly what the issue was, but if you accessed a maliciously crafted QuickTime .mov it could have theoretically have either stolen information from your computer or given it a virus (or any number of things…)

These aren’t things that you’ll generally be exposed to, but they are definitely major issues. You can protect your computer all you want, but when was the last time your computer asked you for a password to confirm you really wanted to play that ‘harmless’ QuickTime?

That said, I don’t know the details of the 7.5.5 patch.

Darby Edelen

NVIDIA
    Santa Clara, CA

• Darby Edelen

September 13, 2008 at 8:16 am

As a follow up, here’s a link to the security updates in 7.5.5:

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3027

The keywords appear to be “unexpected application termination” and “arbitrary code execution.”

Darby Edelen

NVIDIA
    Santa Clara, CA

• John Trauscht

September 13, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Y’all are cracking me up.

I’ve installed 7.5.5 at work, but I’ve still got 7.5.4 on my home system, just in case. No problems yet, but it’s probably still too soon to tell.

John T
    Graphic Designer
    After Effects guy
    Musician

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy