Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro New Mac Pro Problem with H 265 Codec / Footage from EOS R5

• New Mac Pro Problem with H 265 Codec / Footage from EOS R5

• Karsten Koch

January 28, 2021 at 12:33 am

Hey Guys, i really struggle with the new Mac Pro and scrubbing H265 footage from Canon EOS R5 ! Is Proxies the only solution. I have the same problem with my Mac Pro Mac Book from 2018 even with working on Proxies, i still have trouble with scrubbing the footage!

Does some have the same Problem or even better a solution? Thank you and stay save!

• Todd Perchert

January 28, 2021 at 5:36 pm

What is your image size and frame rate that was shot? I’m guessing you may need to use proxies or transcode to a more edit friendly codec, such as Prores.

• Merlin Vandenbossche

January 28, 2021 at 11:56 pm

Transcoding will likely be your best option. And do so in an I-Frame only codec (ProRes, DNxHD, Cineform). Only that way you will have frame accurate scrubbing. H.265/HEVC is a tough and heavily compressed format which will pose plenty of challenge for most systems. It is GOP-based, meaning it doesn’t store all frames at full size and constantly needs to compute to calculate the remaining frames. Hence the poor scrubbing and occasional dip in real time playback.

It can run better on specific hardware configs: on windows decoding on Nvidia NVENC GPU, on mainstream intel CPU’s helped by QuickSync or apparently also quite well on the new M1 macs that have specific chipsets for this kind of compressed video. Alas, I am sad to inform that Xeon CPUs (Mac Pro, iMac Pro) have always been notoriously bad at H.264/H.265 compression. Here’s a video of a well known tech youtuber who experiences the iMac (which has mainstream i9 CPU) is just better at all this than his much more expensive Mac Pro. My experience at work is much of the same.

https://youtu.be/4MdMFfoQP14?t=314

Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

• Erik Lindahl

January 29, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Problem is if you shoot the 4:2:2 codec variants with the se new cameras from Canon and Sony, few computers have hardware decode for this. This includes Mac and PCs. Apples M1 Macs are pretty much the only ones (aside from iPads / iPhones).

The solution is to shoot a different codec or transcode before editing.

• MIke Janowski

January 29, 2021 at 2:16 pm

Transcode. H265 is NOT meant for editing. ‘

As you can see.

• Karsten Koch

February 15, 2021 at 5:53 pm

Hey Todd, i tried different Solutions. But Even in Full HD it makes Problems. And this Mac is that fast, that this can be the Resolution in this case i guess. Thank you

• Karsten Koch

February 15, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Ok, great. Thank you. So i need to get a NINJA external Recorder to fix this!? Or is there a Software Chance to do so?

• Karsten Koch

February 15, 2021 at 5:57 pm

Ok, thank you

• Brian DeViteri

February 16, 2021 at 1:32 pm

No need for external hardware and it can be done via software.

You can transcode on ingest through the ingest settings under the new project panel, or under file > project settings > ingest settings for an existing project.

Just make sure to pick the TRANSCODE option under the pulldown.

COPY will not do anything to help.

CREATE PROXIES will not really solve your issue longterm, but will help with short term editing. Just have to relink original sources before export. The proxy files themselves are not full resolution and usually at a 1:2-1:6 ratio. Most of the “medium” varieties are 720HD resolution, which could be helpful for your workflow, but that’s a whole different topic.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy