Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Storage & Archiving Myrinet 2gb

• Myrinet 2gb

• Sean ONeil

January 21, 2009 at 6:06 am

I just found out about these older 2gbps networking products from a company called Myricom. It’s basically an alternative to gigabit ethernet. It uses the same LC-LC cables as fibre channel – but it’s not fibre channel. It’s regular TCP/IP networking for AFP file sharing, etc., but faster than 1gb ethernet.

The interesting thing is that they provide source drivers for all operating systems, including Macs, and the cards are as low as $10 on eBay.

Being a whopping $25 gamble, I bought a few and tested it out. The end result was actually really positive. I’m getting 140MB/s read, 110MB/s write with AJA System Test. Using the same exact two systems but connecting with regular 1gb instead of the Myrinet, speeds are quite a bit lower. And with the Myrinet I’m not getting “write hiccups” or anything like I normally get with gigabit ethernet. The graph on AJA System Test is smoother. I tested some SD ProRes footage in a Final Cut timeline. Scrubbing around the playhead was smooth as silk. No lag or anything – something I’ve never seen with 1gb ethernet. HD ProRes was a little laggy, but again, better than 1gb ethernet.

I’m not recommending this or anything. It’s no good for 99% of us. The driver is source code (means you have to manually compile and install it in the terminal – easier than it sounds but I’d never recommend any normal person do it). It’s also only PCI-X. So it’s only good for Mac G5s or PCs with those kinds of slots (which are uncommon). But for $10 a card, maybe someone at a university or something could find value in it.

Sean

• Bob Zelin

January 22, 2009 at 3:35 am

Sean,
    Myricom is “the other” big 10Gig company besides Small Tree. They are a great “hi tech” company with lots of 10Gig products, and lots of great technology.
    I have only one question for you – don’t you work for a living? Don’t you run a company? How the HELL do you have time to find out about companies like Myricom, and screw around with their hardware. Dont you behave like everyone else, and look at the trade magazines, and banner ads on these forums to select your products? What the HELL are you doing researching “base” products that are used by these companies who make the products that you should be buying. What exactly do you do all day long – aren’t you in the video business ?

Now stop this intelectual nonsense. Get back to producing video, bossing around your employees, and STOP RESEARCHING storage products. Look at some nice ads that you see on Creative Cow, and other forums, and magazines, and buy these products. Stop thinking about core products.

bob Zelin

• Sean ONeil

January 22, 2009 at 7:03 am

Lol, I don’t own the company. If I did I’d be out networking with people and not machines. I’m just an editor, and a defacto “CTO” for a boutique. Workload ebbs and flows. Most of this is done on my own time, and honestly I don’t spend that much time on it.

My philosophy is much different than most people in this business. Most people want something nice and expensive that lasts them a very long time. I see things differently. To me technology products are disposable, short-term solutions. The best of the best now will always be a total piece of junk in a few years. Especially computer products. Therefore, buying “the best” isn’t my favorite strategy. I’ve come to expect that any equipment I purchase will be useful for a year or two tops.

I know how it works when you invest in something expensive that’s supposed to last. I was stuck editing on Media100 7.5 up until 2005 trying to convince everyone to jump ship.

We almost bought the full on Xserve-RAID/Xsan system in late 2005 (didn’t really need it at all). I’m so glad we didn’t because I’d be stuck using it now and up until 2012.

There’s always something new. One day Apple announces “Time Machine.” Suddenly that DLT machine you spent someone’s salary on a few years ago is a lousy solution to doing backups. Things like that bug the hell out of me, and being at a small place it makes a difference.

Sean

• Chris Blair

January 23, 2009 at 3:53 am

Bob….you crack me up. I was thinking the EXACT same thing but I’m too polite to post it! I’m lucky to get my kids to school and fed each day and then actually make it to a shoot or edit on time much less test stuff!

But kudos to you Sean for that attitude. I used to be like that until as a facility owner I realized my time was more important than being the IT department as well as the company’s creative director, technical director, client psychologist (most clients are not only insane, they’re also insecure), and janitor.

One thing I’ll point out is that we get great performance from a Gig-E network with an Apace vStor. nearly 100MB/sec read, 75-80MB/write across 4 workstations. 4 real-time uncompressed SD streams, 2 compressed DVCProHD compressed streams (720P), and nary a hiccup or pause.

Chris Blair
    Magnetic Image, Inc.
    Evansville, IN
    http://www.videomi.com

• Bob Zelin

January 24, 2009 at 12:45 am

it’s people like Sean and Chris that make this a great forum. I was glad to see Jordan Woods posting again. We need people that actually know what they are talking about on these forums (like you guys !).

bob Zelin

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy