Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Avid Media Composer › MXF DNxHD 115 1080p D5 Tape Capture to Quicktime DNxHD

  • MXF DNxHD 115 1080p D5 Tape Capture to Quicktime DNxHD

    Posted by Cody Peterson on December 18, 2009 at 6:40 am

    Hello

    I have an MXF file that contains a 1080p DNxHD 115 file that was captured from D5 Tape using Avid Adrenaline. Curious to know if I could take the MXF file and convert it to Quicktime DNxHD file instead of an MXF… I know there is an app for mac that can spoof quicktime into opening MXF natively, however, is there any free alternatives? I have tried to get ffmpeg to open an MXF but no dice…

    Matthew Martin replied 16 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Matt Mullen

    December 18, 2009 at 3:15 pm

    Maybe try this demo? https://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/finalcutstudio/calibratedqmxfimport.html

    I haven’t used it myself but it’s what I could find.

  • Job Ter burg

    December 18, 2009 at 4:16 pm

    You could download the 30-day trial version of MediaComposer, add the MXF to the mediafiles and do a QT same-as-source export.

  • Matthew Martin

    March 8, 2010 at 3:52 am

    I’ve been having lots of problems doing this. Our studio has access to three different encoders, all of whose tech support say they cannot capture DNxHD directly. I believe an Avid is the only system that can do this.

    The workaround is to capture in a high wuality format – I’ve used Apple ProRes 433 in Final Cut Pro – and then convert it with Final Cut or Compressor to DNxHD.

    I am curious, if ANYONE has had any luck capturing DNxHD directly outside of an Avid please let me know.

    -Matt from Tech Ops.

    Matthew N. Martin
    Audio Mixer, Sound Designer, Recording Engineer.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy