Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Cinematography Multi-camera shoot

• Multi-camera shoot

Bret Snyder updated 4 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Posts
  • Bret Snyder

March 8, 2021 at 4:26 am

Hello.

I need 2 cameras for a long-form interview (3-4 hours). I have a single GH5 and an Atomos Ninja V. I’m planning on renting a second GH5 body, but I have 2 questions:

1) Do I need a second Atomos or can I get by with renting only a second GH5, shoot the second one in H264 and then convert it to Prores? In other words, will I run into any issues editing native Prores and H264-converted Prores together?

2) Do I need timecode sync? I’ll have 2 cameras and external audio recording to combine in post, but I’m planning on letting everything run in one long continuous recording to make combining everything in post easier. I’ll likely take 1 break to swap batteries.

I’d like to avoid having to rent a ton of stuff if it’s not going to be a giant headache in post.

Thank you!

• Mark Suszko

March 8, 2021 at 4:57 am

All the popular NLE’s can now multicam from both time code AND audio waveform, so relax on that score, as long as the audio is intelligible. Though it would be good practice to stop and start the cameras close to simultaneous, a few seconds late on one won’t stop the NLE from figuring it out. To help, you should have the talent clap hands one time before each take starts, or have some other visual/auditory synch marker system based on how you are shooting. Some people flash a photo strobe off their phone, for example. Whatever works for you. PS you can end-slate with a synch marker too, if you forgot to get it up-front, as long as you didn’t stop rolling yet.

Be sure your external audio recorder is using a sample rate compatible with your video system’s audio sample rate, or you will get unfixable drift. Well… not completely un-fixable, but tedious, and no fun and costly, if you choose to buy an app to re-render it in matching frame rate.

I use a consumer grade b-roll camera recording multiple hours in h264 and/or mpeg4, and after conversion/uprez to prores422 or HQ, it plays very well for me alongside prores or other formats from a more “pro” camera. As long as everything is in Prores, one way or another, my older FCPX system is very happy with it. The downside is the files get way bigger. You can never have too much free drive space.

• Bret Snyder

March 8, 2021 at 11:47 am

Thank you very much for the reply.

I’ll include a shooting note to clap a few times at the start of each recording.

I hadn’t thought of audio drifting. So I just need to make sure the Atomos, second gh5, and field recorder record at the same sample rate (I assume there isn’t any reason to go above 44.1 for an interview).

Thanks again.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy