Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects Motion curve documentation in AE

• Motion curve documentation in AE

• Fred Breslau

January 24, 2021 at 1:41 am

Hi Everyone, I hope you are all safe and sound.
    Does anyone know how to document motion curve values in AE for use in future projects?
    To give you a clearer understanding of what I mean.
    I have an international client and the motion graphics principles I designed will be written down in a document which anyone that reads it should get a clear understanding of how to reproduce the motion I did.
    I am aware of documentation for Web and APP design, for example:

• Android: FastOutSlowInInterpolator
    • CSS: cubic-bezier(0.4, 0.0, 0.2, 1);
    • Flutter standardEasing
    • iOS: [[CAMediaTimingFunction alloc] initWithControlPoints:0.4f:0.0f:0.2f:1.0f]

Is there such thing for AE?
    Thank you all in advance.

• Filip Vandueren

January 24, 2021 at 12:33 pm

You could document the influences and velocities one needs to input.

Unfortunately, that’s only practical for easing into 0 velocity, you can say: velocity is 0 with an influence of 33% (essentially easy ease, in this case.)

But for example a more interesting effect is: velocity out [double of what it would be on linear], influence 33%. You can’t just say velocity out: 1000, influence 33%, because that first number totally depends on the situation and after effects doesn’t support relative velocities like that.

You could create some “preset” scripts or expressions that users can apply to convert linear paths to your consistent values though, but it’s not as intuitive as what it would be in css etc.

• Fred Breslau

January 24, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Many thanks Filip.
    It helps a lot.

I wasn’t aware of the option “RIGHT CLICK > Keyframe velocity”.
    In my case, I guess I have to tell people to input 80% in and 80% out. That should suffice.
    But sure writing down a piece of code would make it more effective and quick I guess.

• Walter Soyka

January 25, 2021 at 7:18 pm

I use Flow a lot for easing:
    https://aescripts.com/flow/

This lets you use CSS-style curves, which you could document as such. You could even share the curve presets directly with other artists.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy