Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

• morphing advice

• Philip James

August 31, 2022 at 8:21 am

I am working on a project where I will be filming individual trees on 3 locked-off cameras: thermal imaging, infrared and standard 6k. I will do my best to line up the shots through choice of lenses and positioning the cameras as close as possible to each other to minimise mismatches in angles.

Ultimately I will need to create a composite image with elements from each camera ebbing and flowing through the final shot. The three shots will be placed across 3 separate video tracks in my edit and I will crop and resize each to match as best as possible.

I have never explored morphing techniques for this kind of challenge. Does anyone have any advice on what might be the best way to lock these three images together to create one composite image? Any high-end morphing software I need to explore?

I mainly work with Avid Media Composer and DaVinci Resolve.

Thank you

• Eric Santiago

August 31, 2022 at 12:22 pm

I would use something like After Effects.
    If there is some distortion required.

Lots of options in AE for that effect.

• Philip James

August 31, 2022 at 3:20 pm

Thanks. I don’t have After Effects but could use it for a month or so, I guess. I was hoping there might be something in Da Vinci Resolve Fusion.

• Michael Gissing

September 1, 2022 at 3:34 am

You could start by trying Resolve’s Smooth cut to morph the layers on the edit page. I’m sure Fusion would have options too but if you get a good match just with basic sizing then Smooth Cut is a pretty good morph tool.

• Philip James

September 1, 2022 at 7:30 pm

Thank you Michael

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy