Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › Mixed formats
-
Mixed formats
Posted by Kirk Gillon on May 12, 2009 at 1:29 pmI am halfway finished with an offline edit of a feature film. I have discovered that A Camera was set at 23.98 fps(ProRes422 Compressor) and B Camera was 29.97 (DVCPRO HD 1080P30 Compressor)
My sequence automatically set at 29.97 fps. My concern isn’t getting it to 24 fps, my main concern is just getting a proper the export to HD DVD. Will audio syncro be a problem?… what problems will I have? …and/or, what should I do at the moment.
ThanksShane Ross replied 17 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies -
6 Replies
-
Shane Ross
May 12, 2009 at 5:10 pmMixing formats isn’t too much of an issue. The biggest thing you have to worry about it scaling issues and how they affect the quality of the footage. What you DO have to worry about is the mixed frame rates. That can be a BIG problem. They already messed up in production by not shooting the same frame rate…very bad planning on their part…so now this task falls on you. “Fix it in post” is a term that we hear all to often.
Stop editing now. Convert all of the footage to match codec and frame rate. Since you have to do the frame rate conversion anyway, you might as well change the codec. Since your A Camera is the main camera, you need to convert the DVCPRO HD B Camera to match. Use Compressor to convert DVCPRO HD to ProRes. As for converting 29.97 to 23.98, in the FRAME CONTROLS change all the settings to best….there is no resizing to do. In the FRAME RATE control, try the FAST option (nearest frame), also try the REMOVE PULLDOWN option. Gotta test what works best.
Then you will have to manually recut the new footage into the first part of your cut. Sorry, no re-connecting, as the frame rate differs.
Shane
GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD…don’t miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def -
Kirk Gillon
May 13, 2009 at 1:41 amWe have as much footage on camera B as we do A. We don’t have a problem with going to 30fps… would it not be easier to go from 24 to 30? Also… the frame size is different… the ProRes footage is 1920×1080 and the DVCPRO HD is 1240X1080… do I not change the size????
Also… A camera does have all of our audio… I do feel that i will continue my offline… then i will know what clips to convert.I didn’t see a removal pulldown option on compressor.
Anymore thoughts would be appreciates… this is going to be nice feature, ashame the DP was inexperienced with these issues.
best
-
Arnie Schlissel
May 13, 2009 at 3:56 am[kirk gillon] “I am halfway finished with an offline edit of a feature film. I have discovered that A Camera was set at 23.98 fps(ProRes422 Compressor) and B Camera was 29.97 (DVCPRO HD 1080P30 Compressor) “
I have to ask- how do you get halfway through a film before you notice this? How do you not notice it right away?
And how did you manage to digitize the material to 2 different codecs at 2 different frame rates?
I don’t mean to sound crass, but it sounds like someone worked very hard and deliberately to mess this up.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
Kirk Gillon
May 13, 2009 at 1:58 pmThis i am not sure, I can say I can put together a nice edit, in the past I have worked with editor, but decided to do this one myself… i don’t know the guts… so i didn’t realize it until I put the Bin arranged as a list… it has all the info there.
We have a lot of footage… I will continue the edit… convert only the footage that i used… then re-edit.
So… any final words??? Should I convert
23.98 fps(ProRes422 Compressor) to 29.97 (DVCPRO HD 1080P30 Compressor) or vice versa? -
Shane Ross
May 13, 2009 at 2:09 pm[kirk gillon] “would it not be easier to go from 24 to 30?”
It would. 24 to 30 is easier to do, and Compressor does this well.
[kirk gillon] “the ProRes footage is 1920×1080 and the DVCPRO HD is 1240X1080… do I not change the size????”
YOu do…Compressor does this well. When you convert DVCPRO HD to ProRes it will change the dimensions and frame rate.
[kirk gillon] ”
I didn’t see a removal pulldown option on compressor.”That’s in the DEINTERLACE option.
Shane
GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD…don’t miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def -
Shane Ross
May 13, 2009 at 4:20 pm[kirk gillon] “So… any final words??? Should I convert
23.98 fps(ProRes422 Compressor) to 29.97 (DVCPRO HD 1080P30 Compressor) or vice versa?”Wow…this is a toughie. But I would go from DVCPRO HD to ProRes. The quality and pixel dimensions are far better than to go from ProRes to DVCPRO HD. Sure, the frame rate is better the other way, but it is still workable this way. You have to run a few compression tests (on small clips) to see what settings work best. Then save those settings.
good luck
Shane
GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD…don’t miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def
Reply to this Discussion! Login or Sign Up
