The key will be very good media management. You cannot allow the media to go all over the place on your drives or you’ll never be able to pull all the elements together.
Once the projects are ready to be merged, you’ll either need to bring all the media together on one computer by either attaching the other person’s harddrive or transferring all the media from their harddrive to yours. Then you open both projects at the same time. At that point, you can simply drag bins and Sequences from one project to the other. At this point I would re-name the final project as the merged project to differentiate it from the original two.
the Media Manager is a lot less scary than most people feel it is.
the most important tip regarding the Media Manager is to NEVER use “Use Existing” mode
if you’re trimming, or “consolidating” media, that will screw with your original media.
and if something goes wrong, there;s no going back.
Same goes for “MOVE” mode: that
l copy the media, and then delete the originals
Use “COPY” mode, and then delete the originals yourself, when you have checked everything is the way it should be.
Use the Make Offline window for this
oh, yes, another tip regarding speed modified shots.
they can get messed up by the MM, too.
if you have speed mod shots in your timeline,
track them down prior to any MM,
match frame them into the viewer (they will lose all their FX)
and cut them back into the timeline on an invisible track above the original.
this seems to tame the MM.
MM is supposed to have been fixed in V5 in regards Speed Mod shots,
but i haven’t tried it yet.
It’ still pretty flakey. I was doing it on a project yesterday. It showed the wrong media values and the values wouldn’t go down. It was so weird. I had a 19 minute sequence and it kept giving me a total amount of 5.7G. I kept cutting stuff out of the sequence and it just wouldn’t go down. The original media duration and the reduced amount would never change.
i was doing an online for someone the other day, and we had one clip that refused to trim.
we tried all the usual such as Making sequence clips independent,
and copying into a new project, but nothing worked.
the clip would even show up in supposedly off-line sequences.
then i noticed this “clip” had TC starting at zero, and no reel#
someone had stitched together a bunch of short captures in a sequence, re-building the original entire tape,
and exported it.
we corrected the TC, and gave it a reel#, and everything went fine after that.
if your media hasn’t originated on a tape, or doesn’t look like it has, then MM refuses to trim it,
not letting you possibly delete the only copy you have.