Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects melting edges or sides

  • melting edges or sides

  • paolo1234567891

    April 5, 2005 at 9:33 am

    Hello everyone, I don’t really have a reference for this effect but I’ll try to explain it. I wan’t to create a particle illusion that incorporates this effect. First there is one whole object then it splits into dozens of smaller pieces and reorganizes randomly into another object. 2D is fine, but each piece would break apart much like a droplet of water. The “edges” are melted together until they seperate. I hope I explained well enough because english is not my first langauge. Future thanks.

  • Michael Szalapski

    April 5, 2005 at 6:59 pm

    I’m not sure I understood you fully, but I’ll try.

    If I were going to create an effect where something broke apart and reformed into something else I would use shatter. Twice. Let me explain:

    Take your first thing in its own composition and shatter it.
    Take your second thing in its own composition and shatter it.
    Make sure to use the exact same settings for both of the shatters. I would make it shatter into lots of little pieces with no gravity.

    Now import both compositions into your main composition.
    Put them one after the other overlapping somewhat.
    Time remap your second composition so that it plays backwards.
    Now you should be getting close.
    You just need to fade from one to the other.

    If I were doing this I’d try to create (in Zaxwerks or something) a piece that looks like the shattered pieces and make it fly close to the camera at the time you make your switch.

    Is this what you were looking for?
    Does it make sense?

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • paolo1234567891

    April 6, 2005 at 6:33 am

    thanks for the reply, I actually duplicated this effect in flash. before each “shattered” pieces touched, I would at a white blob in the middle giving the illusion of merging.

  • paolo1234567891

    April 6, 2005 at 6:38 am

    I am also wondering if the AE particle system is able to produce this effect. How would I go about doing it if it were possible? I also have Trapcode particular on it’s way.

  • hans van vliet

    April 6, 2005 at 7:18 am


    I think cc-blobbylize will do it. what your talking about is an effect on 3d apps as blobbies, or meshblobs .. when particles get closer they join and so on. Blobbylize will do this but it works as a distortion layer, but with some set up, I think it might do what you want .. um, hate to post it again but you can look at it in effect here .. it’s best at discribing water particles, and has a lot of things you can set up to make it blob more and blob less and all that .. The .rar file is the .ae project .. hope it helps, you out

    Anyways, good luck. Here are the urls again,


  • paolo1234567891

    April 6, 2005 at 11:47 am

    This is more than I could have asked for, thank you very much. That’s exactly the type of effect that I’m aiming for except with geometric and even squares without a water like texture. Thanks again

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 posts

Log in to reply.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can. Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy