I’ll admit, I’m learning Fusion, so my knowledge in the app is just enough to be dangerous. And I have decades of AE & NLE experience, so my goal here is to learn what may be going on with this issue and if it may be a bug or something I’ve approached the wrong way.
As you can see in the attached grab, on the left, is a good render I got out of Resolve Fusion for this screen replacement. On the right is a glitch that occurs seemingly randomly, but I have tracked it down to the two node chains highlighted in the node tree with arrows pointing to the two chain sections that are causing me troubles.
Basically, I’m using those two shapes to create masks, one for the screen shape itself(purple) and one for a black strip that runs along the bottom bevel to hide a reflection(red). The bevel mask ultimately appears under the screen shape in the final composite.
Sometimes when I open the project or (more frustratingly) when I make an adjustment to the mask shapes (even just a little tiny bit) it will snap to the bad frame on the right. It looks very similar to the way a 3D layer in AE can clip when it intersects at an angle with a second 3D layer – but I’m not doing anything in 3D in Fusion. The way I found to “fix” it was to disconnect those two nodes from their Planar Trackers, delete the cache from within the app, and then reconnect them. Sometimes, I can only get it to work if I disconnect those shapes, quit the app and reload it and then reconnect those shapes where they need to go. And even if I get it working, it usually is just temporary and if I make any sort of change, it will go bad and then I’m stuck. I feel like there is a bug in the way these shapes feed into the trackers and once it glitches, I can’t get it to work properly unless I do the above steps. It seems like a memory issue with the node tree in Fusion, so that’s my wonder if it is a bug.
As I said, I’m not sure I’ve built the whole thing “correctly” but it works for what I need to do and the client is happy with it now that I’ve gotten it rendered out without the glitch. I’d just like to know if it’s a bug or an issue with my approach.
FWIW, this happens on versions 16.2.7 and on 17 beta 7 both on Windows 10 with NVIDIA Drivers version 457.30. Like I said, I can get it to work correctly occasionally and, in this case, I have a good render of it for this spot to deliver, but I fear if they want tweaks or changes later this week it will create more problems for me.