Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Storage & Archiving Marvel 9128 6gb RAID 0

• Marvel 9128 6gb RAID 0

• Peter Lewis

March 27, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hi, I’m a newbie to this forum, so if I’ve posted in the wrong area, please forgive me.
    I’m running WIN 7 Ultimate 64 bit, with Intel I7 processor and Nvidia Quadro graphics on a home built PC. After 3 years of happy computing, my mb has failed (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R) and I’m replacing it with an Asus P6X58e-WS which is the nearest compatiblle board I could find available. (I’m awaiting delivery of the board now).
    My main concern is that on my old system, I had two x 1tb hdds raided (RAID 0) on the Marvel 9128 controller on the old mb. This RAID volume holds data which I really do not want to lose. I chose the new board because it also has the (same?) Marvel 9128 Sata 6 controller, and what I want to really know is, if I plug my old raided volumes into the new board, using the Marvel 9128 controller, is it likely that the data still be available through the new controller, or am I going to lose the data?
    Will I have to create a new RAID array (which will lose the data) or will the new mb recognise the existing array (assuming that I set the Marvel Controller to RAID 0 on installation)? Any helpful suggestions will be welcome!

• Rainer Wirth

March 29, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Hi Peter,

first of all – back up your data! Just use a usb drive to back it up. The rest you have to give it a try. I have no work experience with internal Raid 0 levels. Raid 0 is not a level any professional wants to use. Mostly we work on Raid 5, 6,or 50 which gives us redundancy and then still – we back it up twice, one back-up with a storage somewhere external. You haven’t got such an amount of data. One back-up should be efficient.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
    Rainer Wirth
    phone_0049-177-2156086
    Mac pro 8core
    Adobe,FCP,Avid
    several raid systems

• Peter Lewis

March 29, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Hi Rainer,
    Sorry for the delay in responding…. but my new MB arrived and now I’m fully up and running again!
    Acknowledging your comments over RAID 0 – I wouldn’t use it at all, if it wasn’t for Premiere CS6 which almost insists on RAID 0 for any video drives, so that it can capture files faster.
    The good news is… I reinstalled everything and then connected my raid array to the Marvell Controller and, Bingo! the data was still there! One small corrupted file, but otherwise everything was perfect!
    So, a lesson to those who may have a similar predicament… it MIGHT just work, provided that you re-connect to the same RAID controller type AND leave making the actual connection until everything is up and running!
    Thanks for everyone who has responded, offering help!
    Cheers!
    Peter

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy