Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects Light house effect – null connected to a center properties of Fast Radial Blur

• Light house effect – null connected to a center properties of Fast Radial Blur

• Enginn Heima

September 15, 2020 at 11:22 am

I’m following one of Andrew Kramer’s tutorials called <yt-formatted-string force-default-style=””>Advanced 3D Light Rays in After Effects! </yt-formatted-string>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frXQxwMKh6c

Interesting indeed. One thing I can not get my head around is how to make my light source rotate in place. My light source follow the null object x,y and z position since the radial blur center position has been pick whipped with the position of the null. But how can I make the light rotate in place. It’s a light house effect I’m after and the light should turn with the light source 360 degrees.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

• Filip Vandueren

September 15, 2020 at 7:20 pm

you’ll have to create some distance between your radial blur center and the ball of light.

For example like this:

create a 3D null at the centre of the comp.

create a 2D super-white circle in the center of the comp.

make an adjustment layer with CC Radial Blur and give the centre this expression:

l=thisComp.layer("Null 1"); l.toComp([500,0]);

Now if you rotate the Null, the center of the Radial blur will not be from the anchorPoint of the Null, but from a point 500 pixels away: this point will appear to circle in 3D, shining the light to different directions.

Of course it’s just a 2D illusion, not actual 3D raytracing, so it is hard to get a sense of shining forward vs shining backward. The only way to do sell is by looking a bit from the top or the bottom, a,d/or animate the brightness of the shapelayer.

See example

• Enginn Heima

September 16, 2020 at 9:16 am

Thank you Filip!

I will definitely try this out today and tell you how it goes!

• Michael Szalapski

September 17, 2020 at 1:50 am

If you have Trapcode plugins from Red Giant, Lux does exactly this.

If you don’t, Nebula from Video Copilot also does this (and a whole bunch more), but it’s not out yet and no idea when it will be.

So, in the meantime, Filip’s suggestion is the way to go. Smiley

• Enginn Heima

September 17, 2020 at 5:46 am

Thanks Michael. I will also look into Trapcode’s Lux. Do you think the results would be any better than Filip’s suggestion?

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy