Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems Kona to Kona Downconvert

• Kona to Kona Downconvert

• Matthew Causon

December 23, 2011 at 10:48 am

Hello Paul

Did you receive a response form AJA Tech support? (I think you had mentioned you had sent in a request?)

If not please feel free drop me you email address and I will have someone contact you.

PS Are you UK based?

Best regards

Matty Causon Phosphor
    EMEA Representation for AJA Video Systems Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.phosphor.pro

• Jeremy Garchow

December 24, 2011 at 4:06 am

[Paul Nelson] “Control panel is showing indeed 720p SDI in, and showing the downconvert icon to the 625i primary format. It all looks correct. “

Good deal.

[Paul Nelson] “I can fire up the capture and view the process. And by watching the capture window I can either see the interlacing happening or not. If it looks progressive to me I stop/restart playback on the playout machine until I see interlacing, and then let the capture continue. This seems to work.”

But as has been mention, Paul, what you are seeing is not what what your final image might represent. As was mentioned. 720p25 will become 625 psf. This means your progressive images are stored and sent in an interlaced stream (every frame, of which the 720p25 stream becomes 720p50 (2:2 pulldown) becomes a field. Since each frame is doubled, those double frame will become a field, which means you will ahev two fields that are the same, then two fields that are the same which makes psf. Since the FCP capture window you are watching is not setup to display proper interlacing, what you are seeing does not represent the final image. A CRT or broadcast capable flat panel monitor would be the only true way to view your images as intended. Stopping and starting the capture is not going to change the playback and should not be used in confidence.

Maybe you might have a monitor that you can hook up to the record system Kona outputs?

Jeremy

Viewing 11 - 12 of 12 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy