Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems Kona LHe vs Decklink HD Extreme

• Kona LHe vs Decklink HD Extreme

• Andy Lynch

February 18, 2010 at 12:03 am

Hi,
    I am hoping to find advice on which card to go with, the Kona LHe or the Decklink HD Extreme. I am needing to capture HD video from various character generators, (Lyric, Deko, etc) in both 720 and 1080. I will be capturing to a Mac Power PC G5, running Final Cut Pro 5.1. I really need to be able to capture high quality native HD video, to be used in building samples for our clients.

Are these cards the best solutions for what I need to do. Is the Kona worth the extra money? Any experiences or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy

• Jeremy Garchow

February 18, 2010 at 2:48 am

Kona LHi is what you want.

• Arnie Schlissel

February 18, 2010 at 4:02 am

A G5? With PCI-X? Look for a used Kona 2. The LHe won’t work in a PCI-X slot.

Arnie
    Post production is not an afterthought!
    https://www.arniepix.com/

• Chi-Ho Lee

February 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I’ve used both and the Kona is very well worth the money.

Chi-Ho Lee
    Film & Television Editor
    Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
    http://www.chiholee.com

• Shane Ross

February 18, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Well, asking this on the AJA forum you’ll run into bias for sure!

As mentioned, the LHe, nor the LHi, will work. The regular Kona LH will…and the Kona 2 (does the Kona 2 have analog INPUTS?). And you need to make sure that the Decklink you might get will be PCI-X compliant too.

Either will work. I prefer the AJA because of the better tech support and easier software interface. Tech support is worth the extra $$.

But, I know people who swear by Decklink, and they do work, and work well. I have used both and haven’t had a bad experience with the Decklink Products. I just like AJA and Matrox better (although Matrox doesn’t have a PCI-X solution).

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD…don’t miss it.
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

• Jeremy Garchow

February 18, 2010 at 7:06 pm

[Shane Ross] “(does the Kona 2 have analog INPUTS?).”

No. You would need the Kona LH, (not Lhe). I missed the part about PCI-X.

Sorry.

• Andy Lynch

February 18, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I may be wrong, but I believe our machine is PCI express. The attached images are of an older Decklink Extreme SD card we have been using with this machine, and the ports on the G5.

• Jeremy Garchow

February 18, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Yeah, some of the last revisions of the G5s had PCI Express. It’s entirely possible. Sorry, I should have just reread the post. If it is PCIe, the LHe will work then.

• walter biscardi

February 18, 2010 at 7:49 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] “Yeah, some of the last revisions of the G5s had PCI Express. It’s entirely possible. Sorry, I should have just reread the post. If it is PCIe, the LHe will work then.”

As far as I know, the G5 Quad is the only G5 that had PCIe. That was the last G5 we owned before moving to the Mac Pros.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
    HD Post and Production
    Biscardi Creative Media

“Foul Water, Fiery Serpent” now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
    Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

• Jeremy Garchow

February 18, 2010 at 8:06 pm

There were dual core G5s as well.

https://guides.macrumors.com/PowerMac_G5_Dual_Core_(2005)

Jeremy

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy