Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

  • Posted by Jaime Lackner on August 23, 2005 at 2:17 pm

    Does anybody know a way to create an effect to make type a little jumpy? Like a “grungy” kind of look. Sort of like the text in the end tag for the Mitsubishi comercial?
    Any suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated!

    Gary Oberbrunner replied 18 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Filip Vandueren

    August 23, 2005 at 2:38 pm

    Don’t know that commercial,

    but there are a few text-animation-presets you might want to check out:

    Chaotic, Chaotic 2, Fluorescent Light, Quiver, fish bait, wheatfield, wiggly scale, Spasm

  • Aaron Strader

    August 23, 2005 at 3:05 pm

    I’ve found the Random Edits plugin with the Sapphire plugins does the job nicely.

    Random Edits needs text with some predone movements. Applying Random Edits to this layer will animate it with random movement from the base animation you setup.

    You can download the demo and see it in action.

    Also, you could try animating a particle with text as your particle. Particle Illusion has some presets that do this quite well.

  • Jaime Lackner

    August 23, 2005 at 3:16 pm

    Wow thanks.
    Is Particle Illusion a 3rd party Plug-In that I would have to purchase? or does it come with 6.5?
    Thanks again

  • Aharon Rabinowitz

    August 23, 2005 at 5:52 pm

    You can find particleIllusion at – it is a 3rd party Application, but it works well with AE.

    Before you jump to buy that program (which totally rocks, IMHO) consider applying a a wiggle expression to your text’s position property:


    The 15 is the times per second to wiggle the value, and the 20 is the range of pixels off the current position that the layer can deviate. This is the equivilent of using the wiggler assistant in AE, but without adding keyframes.

    If you apply the same expression to the opacity and scale, it could really add something to it as well.

    I think this will give you the results you wanted, though you may need to play with the numbers I gave you a little for your desired look.

    On the other hand, Should you decide to to pursue particleIllusion for your work in AE (do yourself a favor and check out the site), may I shamelessly recomend my Creative Cow Master Series DVD: ParticleIllusion Fusion Vol. 1: The fusion of Adobe After Effects and Wondertouch ParticleIllusion? You can get more info on it at

    Hope this helps.



    Aharon Rabinowitz
    Creative Cow Master Series DVD
    particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
    available @

  • Gary Oberbrunner

    August 25, 2005 at 4:17 pm

    Or just use Sapphire’s S_Shake; it shakes the image around (like the Wiggler, but simpler and quicker.) You can tweak it to get nice and jumpy.

    — Gary O

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy