Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Motion › Is motion good for 3D animation?

  • Is motion good for 3D animation?

    Posted by Nelson May on November 16, 2006 at 9:22 pm

    I am using motion and making 2D to 3D animation. Basically cars moving along a highway for traffic studies. The only problem is, is that I can’t draw and am stuck with the angle of the intersection and car I use. Can I import fully 3D rendered cars into motion and manipulate them? The 2D affect is OK, but 3D has more impact. If not motion is there another MAC platform program I can use. Maybe a CAD program? If there is a powerful program that allows you to have intersections and roads that allows you to place cars and pedestrians that would be good.

    Thanks in advance.

    Noah Kadner replied 19 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Walter Biscardi

    November 16, 2006 at 9:30 pm

    After Effects works in 3D space. You can place lights and cameras as you need them in the intersections or follow along behind a person or car.

    Your 3D objects all need to be in the right perspective though. If you want to actually manipulate the 3D objects themselves, then you need a 3D animation program. In After Effects you can move them and move cameras around them, but you can change the physical object other than distortions.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    https://www.biscardicreative.com
    HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network’s “Good Eats”
    HD Editorial for “Assignment Earth”

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Jim Kanter

    November 17, 2006 at 2:10 am

    A good, easy to use and inexpensive Mac 3D app is Carrara basics.

    Jim Kanter,
    Digital Film Institute
    http://www.dfilminst.com

  • Noah Kadner

    November 17, 2006 at 9:01 am

    I recommend Cinema4D- easy to learn and quite powerful.

    Noah

    Formosa
    A feature film shot on the SDX900

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy