Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems Inconsistent droppping frames on log & capture/capture now.

• Inconsistent droppping frames on log & capture/capture now.

• Jeremy Garchow

May 21, 2005 at 3:52 am

Running FCP 4.5, os 10.3.8, dual 2.0 G5, Atto 42XS, Kona 2 capture card. I have double, triple, and quadruple checked all setup configurations and everything is set up correctly. Trashed prefs, repaired permissions, cleaned some caches, and gave my G5 a loving pat on the metal and told it that everything was going to be okay. I can’t figure why this is happening. I have logged a bunch of clips and captured most of them fine. For some reason on certain clips, a dropped frame error is reported I skip over that clip and continue to capture and then everything works fine.

I should also add, if I do a ‘capture now’ of the same clips it takes about 5-10 seconds for ‘allocating disk space’ and then finally it begins capturing. Shouldn’t this process be faster?

I am digitizing using DVCPro HD 720p60 (59.94) codec and the AJA Kona 2 720p 59,94 DVCPro HD easy setup. This should leave plenty of bandwidth on the array. The footage is DV50 originated and I am using a Panasonic 1200A up converting (through the deck) out of the HD-SDI port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is also cross posted in the Huge Systems forum.

Jeremy

———–
    G5 Dual 2Ghz <> 4GB RAM <> FCP 4.5 <> Kona 2

ATTO 42XS <> Huge Systems 1.25 TB 4105 Fibre

• Jeremy Garchow

May 21, 2005 at 10:05 pm

I think I have narrowed it down to some sort of timecode/reference/sync/audio issue. This project consists of talking heads and some run and gun broll. I am able to capture all of the talking heads when there’s two tracks of audio with no problems what so ever. It seems though that on some of the Broll shots that have mixed audio and no audio are the only shots that cause the dropped frames. It’s as if something is screwy in the signal coming from the 1200A. I cannot log & capture them, I can’t capture them now. I have tried capturing with just video and no audio, but it doesn’t make a difference. When I do try to capture now the “allocating disk space” tag line stays up for 5-10 seconds, which in turn leads to dropped frames and I now know that this part of the tape cannot be captured. When I capture now of some of the talking heads there is no “allocating disk space” warning which makes me think that somehow these shots are different. Does anyone have any kind of experience or advice as to what this might be? I don’t have tri sync so I can’t set that up, I have tried no sync, and syncing to incoming video on the deck. I have put it freerun, regen, everything I could think of to try and get a “better” or more stable signal. I have tried switching to non controllable device and capturing now, but i still can’t get it to get down to disk. This situation occurs on multiple tapes, not just one.

I need some help. Any information is much appreciated.

jeremy

———–
    G5 Dual 2Ghz <> 4GB RAM <> FCP 4.5 <> Kona 2

ATTO 42XS <> Huge Systems 1.25 TB 4105 Fibre

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy